GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

GM gmc envoy xuv: 2004 gmc envoy xuv tailgate will open to

Customer Question
2004 gmc envoy xuv tailgate...
2004 gmc envoy xuv tailgate will open to pivot to right but will not open to normal flat horizontal position?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: GM
2/9/2012
GM Mechanic: Aran, General Motors replied 5 years ago
Aran
Aran, General Motors

Aran :

Hello I'm Aran and I will give you my best effort to try and answer your question completely and to your full satisfaction.

Aran :

Can you give me a little more detail on what you meant in your description of the tailgate PIVOTING TO THE RIGHT, I just want to make sure I am understanding the issue.

Customer:

2004 gmc envoy xuv the tail gate opens 2 ways push button reaer window opens about 1" then the door releases on left and pivots to the right while rhe door remains in the verticl position. The position that doesnt ork is to open in the center and the door pivots on both lower pivots and lays flat as in apickup

Aran :

has this issue just started?

Aran :

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the components, I understand the window part, but I thought the rear hatch was 1 piece and lifts up to the horizontal position, I am trying to understand what I am missing here.

Aran :

Thank you for your patience I just want to understand the issue fully and then I am sure I can aid you.

Aran :

Ok I figured it out, I was thinking of the newer version like the trailblazer etc.

Aran :

Not the older blazer version.

Aran :

So the handle you are pulling that is not working is it inside or outside?

Customer:

a buttonon exterior you depress and it allows the latch to release and the tail gate and pivots to ahorizontol position. you use you key to lower the window

Aran :

So is it the circled part?

Full Size Image

Aran :

Or is this still not like yours?

Customer:

no, this is an xuv. there isa recessed area that the buttons are behind. button on left opens window and then releases the locking mechanism and door pivots from the left pivots.

Customer:

his is an xuv the top opens also to be used like a pickup

Aran :

Ok one moment

Aran :

Please tell me this is the one.

Full Size Image

Aran :

Where are the buttons located?

Customer:

yes

Aran :

The buttons you speak of, one releases the window and the other releases the gate correct?

Customer:

yes, center button ishe one I'mhaving problem wth

Aran :

So when you push the button, do you hear anything like an actuator trying to release or is it quiet?

Customer:

quiet

Aran :

one moment let me pull a diagram

Aran :

The endgate system is pretty complex on this vehicle, are you able to check some basic things such as a fuse for power and relay if it is clicking?

Customer:

while depressing button I can"t feel any movement or hear anything. I checked the fuse diagram andcant find anything specificly for the tailgte

Aran :

Behind the drivers seat in the middle row there is a fuse block, were you aware of that?

Aran :

It is under the seat.

Customer:

no I wasnt, there are only 2 rows of seats. Is it under the drivers seat or secondrow seat?

Aran :

Second row left side under the seat. I will get you a diagram of the fuse block for fuses to check.

Customer:

great, the owner manual doesnt show that fuse block

Aran :

Ok here is a diagram of the fuse block and I have highlighted the fuses that have to do with the rear tailgate.

Full Size Image

Aran :

Again I apologize for the misunderstanding, they have about 3 models with the same name so thank you for working with me.

If these fuses are good, it will get very complicated after that, as the tailgate has switches internally inside it that communicate to a module their position, if one of them is bad it can prevent the gate from working. Having said that basically all the diagnostics outside of checking fuses is done with a scan tool looking at the data.

Customer:

I cant check this until later this after noon, can I get ack to you if I have any other questions?

Aran :

Sure just bookmark this page, and then post back here and it will alert me.

Customer:

Is there an extra to tell me how to bookmark this page?

Aran :

No thats complimentary :) which browser are you using?

Aran :

Internet explorer, firefox etc.

Customer:

internet explorer

Aran :

If you right click on this screen does it brin up a dialoge that has one stating ADD TO FAVORITES?

Customer:

yes

Aran :

Select that and then click ok.

Customer:

did that, thank you

Aran :

Great so we will talk to you later then.

Customer:

yes, In about 3 hours

Aran :

Sounds good, talk to you then.

Customer:

everything checked out in the fuse block, is there a way to check the push button switch in the tailgate or should I check something else in the tailgate first?

Aran :

One moment and let me pull up a document

Aran :

Did you tell me the glass portion works, just the tailgate does not release is that correct?

Customer:

glass works, tail gate releases and pivots in virtical position with different switch

Aran :

So the button on the inside is only for the glass release then is that correct?

Customer:

no, exterior key center of tail gate operates glass and operates the retractable roof

Customer:

controls inside also operate center glass, rear glass and roof

Aran :

Thanks for the clarification, the switch to unlock the tail gate is an input to one of the modules and it is monitored with a scan tool in diagnosing it, basically as you push the switch you are watching the paramater on the scan tool for a change from inactive to active. Short of pulling the rear tailgate apart and measuring things with a meter I would say that we have checked all of the easy stuff.

Customer:

can a 2004 be diagnosed with a scanner

Aran :

Yes that is basically what I am getting at, is we checked the basics with the fuses, but to verify all of the switches and sensors in the tailgate is beond a manual check and requires the GM scan tool to monitor the data during operation of the components in order to isolate the defective component in the system.

Customer:

okay, thanks for your help

Aran
Aran, General Motors
Aran
Aran
Aran, General Motors