GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

1996 gmc: 5.7 vortec, there is a canister driverside front..leaking

Customer Question
1996 gmc with a 5.7...
1996 gmc with a 5.7 vortec, there is a canister driverside front and seems to be leaking water, what is this and the fix?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: GM
12/3/2011
GM Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Tracer :

hello, I am not sure right off but are there hoses going to it? if so can you describe how many and sizes?

Customer:

yes there are 2 that look like vacume lines

Tracer :

Something like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

yes

Tracer :

This is the fuel tank vapor canister. Its job is to store raw fuel vapors from tank rather than going into air. When water drips, its actually condensation that has built up over time menaing the canister may now be full of as much vapor as it can handle and you replace it. No repair offered. Due to age. Its for emissions only

Customer:

ok

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech