GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I cannot get my EVAP monitor to be OBD2 ready, all other…

Customer Question
I cannot get my EVAP...
I cannot get my EVAP monitor to be OBD2 ready, all other systems are a go. 2004 GMC Sierra. No codes read, just not ready. Help ???
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: GM
9/21/2011
GM Mechanic: Pete, GMC Technician replied 6 years ago
Pete, GMC Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

One of the most common components that can keep the vehicle from being ready to pass emissions is the catalyst test by the computer,this test can take weeks and some times even a month or more to run and pass.Below is a procedure that I have used before to help speed up the testing to get the vehicle to the ready stage.

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Those listed I have tried, just stuck on the EV system only, anything specific I can try for that, I have done the above twice and none got the EV ready, all else is a go for smog

When you say EV are you talking about the EVAP system?
O.k.

Usually the evaop system wont allow the test to run unless the fuel tank is 3/4 tank or less and the vehicle is driven for an extended time to allow all the evaop components to run/operate and pass.In some cases a dealer or a shop can use their scan tool to run the evap test and this may force the computer to see this test run and pass.This is a test they do with their scan tool and takes about a half hour or slightly more and runs a test on all components.

Pete, GMC Technician