GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Engine coolant hot light is on . What can I do?

Customer Question
The "engine coolant hot" light...

The "engine coolant hot" light on the 2004 Yukon XL has suddenly come on. Is this something I can take care of myself?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: GM
8/12/2011
GM Mechanic: DBAutomotive, Automotive Technician replied 6 years ago
DBAutomotive
DBAutomotive, Automotive Technician

The "Engine Coolant Hot" light serves as both a warning for low coolant level and when your engine is running warm. It is best to check and correct the fluid level of your coolant overflow tank and see if the light goes out.

If the light continues to return you should have it taken into a shop to see if there is a internal/external coolant leak or just a bad sensor giving you a false warning.

So I can just buy coolant at the auto store and pour it in if needed?

Is there a particular type for my vehicle?

I would first go look at the coolant level of the overflow reservoir. If it is near the cold line, you can just add some water. It won't be a problem.

If you do end up needing to add coolant, you can just request their all makes and models brand. This way you won't have to purchase multiple brands if you have more than one vehicle.

So you are saying, if the coolant reservoir is just a little low, a short term fix is to add water. However, if it is very low- get the coolant and pour it in instead of water?

I would go out and check to see if the coolant level of the overflow tank is just below the appropriate line. Cold if the vehicle is cold and Hot if it is hot. My comment was directed mostly towards whether or not you have to buy coolant. If it close to the appropriate level a little water is fine.

Water evaporates normally during use, its why most places recommend having your fluids checked with every oil change or gas fill up. Adding water or coolant now and again is a normal matter.

If the coolant is not just a little below the appropriate temperature level, and you need to add a generous amount, I would recommend you purchase the coolant as previously stated. If your light continues to come on after the fluid level is correct then it is a matter that must be looked into further to see if it running warm or if the sensor is faulty. Such repairs are best done at a repair facility.

DBAutomotive
DBAutomotive, Automotive Technician