Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT INTO LAST GEAR. 2004 GMC ENVOY 4.2 ENGINE

Category: GM
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Is the check engine light on while driving?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

When driving, does it seem like the transmission takes off in first gear, then shifts to second and third, but will not shift into fourth gear?

If this is the case, when driving in third gear, pull the shift lever down from the overdrive position to the drive position and see if you note any difference in rpm. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when it shift out of third gear the rpm rise up like it is in netural.i just will not go into fourth gear. i guess i will have to replace the transmission. charles

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES IT SHIFT FROM FIRST TO SECOND, AROUND 45 OR FIFTY IT WILL NOT SHIFT AGAIN.THE ENGINE REV UP. CHARLES
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Yes, since the transmission basically shifts to neutral instead of going into 3rd gear, this indicates a mechanical failure in the transmission. This will require replacement or rebuilding of the transmission.