GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

The navagation system does not reconise the disc

the navagation system does not reconise the disc
1/19/2011
John, GMC Technician
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your GMC?
-What make and model is your GMC?
-How many miles are on your GMC?
-What type of engine is in your GMC?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
what do you need
What year is your GMC?
-What make and model is your GMC?
-How many miles are on your GMC?
-What type of engine is in your GMC?
2007 gmcyukon 70,000 miles 5.3 lit. new disc works somtimes

Ok, I have seen some of these disc that do not last very long. i first keep a "known good " disc to test the hardware. Usually when there is a "sometimes" the problem is the radio assembly. Here is some information that may help you.

PIT4698C: Navigation Display And Hardkeys Inop / Frozen / CD Error - keywords button CD disc DVD entertainment inoperative intermittent lock loss nav program radio receiver software street U3U UVB update - (Oct 23, 2008)

Subject:Navigation Display And Hardkeys Inop/Frozen/Cd Error

Models:2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Silverado Suburban
2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL
2007-2009 Hummer H2
with Navigation Radio (RPO U3U or UVB)
2008 SRX RPO
with Navigation Radio (RPO U2V)
2008 DTS

This PI was superseded to update models. Please discard PIT4698B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Some customer may notice one or all of the following concerns:

1. Navigation unit locks up when map disc is inserted. If the Nav disc has not already been loaded, and is loaded after key on, the screen will get stuck in the display screen indicating "Reading Map Disc[mldr ]"
  2. Navigation unit will not read map disc when inserted will remain frozen in the Blue logo screen for an extended length of time. Hard keys are perceived inoperative.
    Navigation unit will "freeze-up/get-stuck" again if other map related functions are attempted. Ultimately, the nav portion of the display will show a pixilated purple screen.
  3. In each case, the display will remain in this frozen mode for 3-4minutes. During this time, all audio is functional from the radio and the steering wheel controls are operative. All hard buttons on the radio itself are perceived as inop and the touch screen buttons are not accessible. Once the display has "caught-up", other display screens can eventually be accessed and all touch screen functionality is possible. At this time it is possible to eject the Navigation disc. A quality issue with the supplied map disc may cause one of the above failure modes

Note: If an attempt is made to key off the vehicle and exit the vehicle to power down the radio when it is in its "frozen/stuck" state, the radio will remain powered up for an additional 3-4 minutes before the unit will power down.

4. After inserting the map disc, the navigation radio will start to respond slowly to commands (e.g. hard key press)
  5. The Navigation Radio locks up completely.
  6. After inserting the map DVD, the Navigation radio may display a DVD read error message

If one the above failure mode is detected:

1. Eject suspect map disc. To do so, you may have to wait 3-4 minutes for the system to catch-up and come out of the frozen mode.
  2. Turn off the vehicle and open the driver's door. Wait at least 7 minutes for vehicle to reach a sleep state. It is important for the vehicle to into the sleep state due to specific features within the radio "memory". When a known good disc is put in the radio immediately after a suspect disc failure, and the vehicle has not totally shutdown, the radio will continue to fail with the new disc. If the vehicle is powered off completely before the new disc is installed, no further issues should be observed and the radio will perform as designed.
  3. Insert a known good map disc. If known good map disc functions correctly, replace the suspect map disc. A new map disc can be obtained by contacting the GM Nav Disc Center at 1-877-NAV-DISC or 1-***-***-****.

Note: The disc should be charged back under warranty

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

i have a old & new disc both disc do the same thing on the display it reads THE DISC INSTALLED IS NOT A MAP DISC it did the same after i tried the pi
Your problem is the radio ,go to the dealer . They will most likely remove the radio & send out for repair. It must be sent to AC Delco for repair.
John, GMC Technician
John, GMC Technician