GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

2500 hd 6.6 duramax..starter spins no contact with flywheel..models

Customer Question
I have a 2006 2500hd...
I have a 2006 2500hd 6.6 duramax 173000km .Starter problem...starts ok sometimes, grinds sometimes, starter spins no contact with flywheel. Brought to dealer, could not duplicate, left dealer did all above mentioned. Will do hot,cold no pattern. Have read online flywheels are deffective on 2005 2006 models. The truck is recent purchase,appears starter is new. I have had the truck 2 months 3000km. Dealer where purchased is 250km away. Ken
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: GM
1/16/2011
GM Mechanic: Gary, GMC Technician replied 6 years ago
Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
this is a tough one.the dealer must duplicate the problem to fix it under warranty.the dealer is following basic 3 C's of diagnosis.and the first C is confirm customer complaint.if they can NOT confirm your complaint they will be guessing and i think you would be more upset if they guessed and then it did not fix it.usually if a start spins and does not contact the flex plate ring gear teeth either there is a bad connection on the starter causing the starter to not have enough voltage when required to fully contact into the ring gear.some of the teeth are damaged on the ring gear(starter would need to come out and turn the engine over by hand and inspect ALL the teeth) or just the starter its self its one of the 3

There has to some amount of trust here with dealer. I have 30yr plus truck driving experience. I am not a teen with my first car. If I describe starter woes and you test voltages/loads and found ok, isn't the next recourse to remove starter and check flywheel? If the problems happens when mech. tries to start what differance does that make if it is the exact problem I described.

yes the next step would be to inspect the teeth.if the voltages are good.i agree with you they are just following the you must confirm the problem first.BUT that doesn't mean you don't check the basics like voltage and connections.then do a visual on the starter teeth

The truck was at dealer for the day, they should have gone to that stage already. You have not told me anything new just confirmed what the dealer has done. As I mentioned earlier is there a possible poblem with the flywheels/ flexplate on this model truck and is there a recall ? The dealer also mentioned they would not fix a flexplate on Allison trany, they don't have equipment, is this true?

ANY GM dealer that sells duromax and Allison trucks should have ALL the equipment to service anything on them.if its the flywheel its just a mater of pulling out the transmission and changing the flywheel.boy it sounds like either they do not want to work on this truck or they do NOT have any duromax/Allison trained technicians like they should have.i have not seen a recall at all for any flex plate problems.it really should go to a dealer that can actually work on this truck.
I think thats what my problem is. It is the dealer. They haven't charged me for their inspections but they haven't fixed the problem either. They want me to bring it back but I'm unsure because of what you said that they should be able to fix Allison trans. If you have no further info I'm going to end this session. I'm no further ahead, but thanks for your time.
anytime.i wish i had a quick fix but i agree it is a dealer problem and that truck should go to a dealer that can actually handle fixing your problem without skipping basics
Gary
Gary
Gary, GMC Technician