GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

How to install a antenna base on 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 ?

Customer Question
Sam...
How to install a antenna base on 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 ? Sam
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: GM
8/2/2010
GM Mechanic: Dave Nova, GMC Technician replied 7 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
  • Remove the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.
  • Remove the auxiliary battery, if equipped
  • graphic

• Remove the 3 bolts.
  • Remove the cable grommet from the body.
  • Remove upper dash panel.
  •  

• Disconnect the antenna cable from the extension cable.
  • Tie a long wire to the antenna cable.
  • From outside of the vehicle, pull the antenna base and cable assembly until the wire can be easily accessible.Ensure part of the wire is still in the vehicle
  • Remove the wire from the antenna cable
  • Ask Your Own GM Question
    You said disconnect antenna cable from extension cable, is extension cable the short cable on the assembly I have? Also where is the upper dash panel?

The extension cable runs from the back of the radio to the area behind the passenger side of the dash. That is why the upper dash must be removed. Let me know if you need additional instruction on removal of the upper dash panel.

graphic

Is pulling the top of the dash off the only way to get to the cable? As you can tell I don't have much experience at this, so all the help I can get, I need.

Yes pulling the top of the dash is the only way to get to the cable.

graphic

Remove the end panels by pulling straight out. The left panel is shown, and the right panel is similar

Remove bezel around tauge cluster by tilting steering wheel down, set park brake and move shift lever all the way down. Then pull bezel straight back.

graphic

• Remove the right side air outlets by prying from dash.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the assist handle by depressing the release tabs accessed through the air outlet duct holes.
  • Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings.
  • Remove the screws retaining the trim panel to dash assembly. Screws are at each end, behind right side vent outlets and around perimeter of gauge cluster.
  •  

graphic

graphic

Lift the trim panel up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim panel

Pull panel straight back.

Dave Nova
    Dave Nova
    Dave Nova, GMC Technician