fritzef
fritzef, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician
3077897

2004 Buick rainier: light comes..intermittently..accelerator assembly

Customer Question

My wife's 2004 Buick Rainier's "Limp Mode" light comes on and goes off intermittently. The error code was P1125, and we have replaced the accelerator assembly with a new unit from a GM/Chev dealer. Despite the new unit, the light still comes on periodically, and the vehicle goes into "limp mode" which is dangerous for her. Because the light is intermittent, I'm wondering if this could be a loose connection rather than another accelerator unit. Any suggestion would be helpful.
Category: GM
Expert:  fritzef replied 8 years ago.
Hi, intermittent problems can be difficult to find sometimes. But it sounds like you may have a connection problem. I see you replaced the pedal assembly, chances are its not your problem. I would start with looking very closely at the connector, even with a magnifying glass if you can and plenty of light and look for any black marks on any of the male and female connectors, A small soft wire brush would also be good to have on hand and lightly brush the terminals. Get a small tube of die electric grease, places like radio shack have it, and put a light coating over all the terminals, then plug and unplug it several times and finally secure it. Now there is also a module mounted to the left of the brake booster on the inner fender, unplug it also and do the same thing to the connector there, also just look at the wiring harness and make sure its not pinched, or pulled tight. This may or may not solve your issue,but its something you can do yourself and your only out a few bucks for the wire brush and die electric grease. I have repaired many intermittent problems like this over the years with this method. Give it a shot. Let me know if i can help you further. Please click on accept if this has helped. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Eric,

Thank you! XXXXX wrond to assume that a very slight amount of Vaseline would work the same as the die electric grease?
Expert:  fritzef replied 8 years ago.
dont use vaseline, the die electric is especially made for electrical terminals and wont interfere with the connection, vaseline will. Thanks, Eric