GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2003 Yukon: 130k miles..MIL light..Im at like 30 mph it works…

I have a 2003 Yukon...
I have a 2003 Yukon with 130k miles. Getting MIL light on occasionally and when it is on I have to basically floor it to get it to accellerate at all. Once I'm at like 30 mph it works fairly fine. Stopped at Auto Zone and got a OBD check. Codes are P0758 (shift solenoid open circuit or shorted) and P0101 which is mass airflow or vane air flow sensor).

With the MIL light on, if I park and turn off for 30-40 minutes it is fine. Also it sometimes goes away by itself while driving, and the car then runs fine.

Additionally, the car "sometimes" when gets higher rpm when shifting, meaning it's slipping a little, or maybe it's the problem above?

FYI: The car was broken into before we bought it, and we had a new ignition key set installed when we purchased.

We are leaving on a weeklong trip this week. Is this safe to take on a week long trip with these conditions?
7/13/2010
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Try unplugging the mass air flow sensor, does the vehicle drive better?
If so, clean it out using CRC MAF cleaner and see if it drives better.
You might need to replace it.
Also, be sure there are no vacuum leaks, to do this get some carb cleaner or starting fluid and spray the intake down while at idle. Listen for the engine to "rev" or respond to the external fuel.
If it will, fix the vacuum leak.
Can you check this first?
I will check this.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know
I will. just bought carb cleaner and CRC MAF Cleaner. When the wife gets home with the car in a few hours I will clean the MAF.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know.

Can you tell me the resistance range for the GMC Yukon 2003 MAF sensor? I'd like to test that while I have it out. Thanks for your help!

Rick

And which pins should I test?

Thanks again...

Rick

Ok, here's an update. I cleaned the MAF sensor. While that was drying, I took the opportunity to blow a little carb cleaner into the throttle. The first time, It the idle went lower then a little higher than the normal idle. The second time it was higher, but both times was only a small "rev". I put it all back together, then got the codes checked again (MIL light on the whole time). This time I got P0101, P0758, and P0102 because I didn't tighten the air duct to the throttle. When I got home, I tightened it, and then after re-starting, check engine was off.

The car drove good while the light was on to autozone and back. No issues with it sticking in a low gear or shifting issues.

I guess I won't know if the cleaning fixed until the codes are cleared, hey?

So I guess I need to go and have the codes cleared tomorrow and drive it around to see if the light comes on again, right?

Either way, we are leaving thursday morning for our trip, and would appreciate an answer. This answer determines which car we use, our mazda tribute or the yukon. The yukon is much better to sit in, with more room.

Thanks,

Rick

Hey Rick thanks for the response. So how is the vehicle driving?

How come you aren't answering any of my questions?

The car is driving fine so far, Do I need to get the OBD codes cleared?

Is the engine light still on? You should be able to turn the key on and off 3 times to clear the codes. If there is no engine light on, no need to clear the codes.
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician

No, the engine light NEVER came on after I cleaned the MAF! Plus it is driving great. We are going to take it on the trip.

Thanks for your help!

Awesome, sounds like it's all good!
Have a good trip.
Thanks!

Just an update for you. The car drove well except for a little while at the start of the trip. Then it worked for the WHOLE WEEK! On the way home, we drove through Wyoming, which was REALLY windy, and the light came on for the whole state. Once we were in Nevada, when the wind died down, the light went off and the car was fine again!

So I assume that it's possible that it's not a MAF sensor malfunction, but more like there is actually something wrong with the car when it encounters too much air?

Thanks,

Rick

Wow, I haven't heard of wind ever causing the check engine light, but I guess anything is possible. I wonder what code popped up in Wyoming. Checking the during the failure is the only hope, otherwise just throwing parts at what it sounds like is a well running vehicle.
By the way how was the trip? What was the best state to drive through?

Nebraska was the best state to drive thorough. Flat, and only just farms, so you could speed the whole way though easily.

Yeah, it was funny, because at the start, when it first came on, I turned off the car, unplugged MAF, started car, turned off, plugged back in, and it would turn off the light. In Wyoming, it would not turn off, so it must have been another code. And yeah, it would rev to 5-6000 rpms while shifting with the light on.