GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

96 GMC: ton..crew cab..dually..It has started making a funky noise…

Hello, I just bought a...
Hello, I just bought a 96 GMC Sierra 1 ton crew cab dually. 454 auto. It has started making a funky noise when turning at slow speeds. When pulling out of a parking spot or driveway it will make clanking noises at the speed the wheels are turning. If I turn the wheels sharper it goes to loud pops. I have changed wheel bearings and checked U joints. That is not the problem. i took the differential cover off and inspected the ring and pinion gears. They spin true and are all there. I do not know how the rest of the rear end works, so I am not sure what else to look for there. Any ideas??? Also when I turn corners the rear tires squeal a little like it is a posi rear end. Is there something locked up in the rear end?? HHHEEELLLPPPP
7/8/2010
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hello and good evening. If your truck is not automatic 4wd, I would suspect that the differential fluid may have broken down and not allowing the locking differential to smoothly allow for slippage on turns. I would recommend, changing the fluid in the differential with GM fluid and Positraction lubricant. Travel in some figure eights to let the fluid penetrate into the clutches and see if the issue improves. If it is 4wd, I would suggest the same procedure to the transfer case. No positraction additive, just the specific GM fluid that it calls for.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

I did change the fluid already. I put in the suggested synthetic fluid. Would what you suggested make loud noises from the rear end during turns?

The differential procedure would. Pick up a bottle of Friction Modifier and add that to the differential, the drive in those figure eights. See if that helps things. It definitely sounds like the posi-unit is fighting itself on turns. The friction modifier helps alleviate that binding sensation.

so forcing it to turn even though it is making very bad sounding noises is what you suggest??
Only after you add the friction modifier. Once you add it, it needs to be massaged into the posi-unit. If it doesn't stop after 10 or 15 turns, the posi-unit itself is faulty.
Just so I understand. Is the noise I am hearing the clutches sticking and then breaking free making the noise?
Correct, the noise you are hearing is the friction that is created by the two rear axles moving at different speeds during the turns.
Last couple questions. When I took out the drive shaft, how much should I be able to move the yoke back and forth on the rear end?
Usually you can rotate it a little bit back and forth before it hits the ring and pinion teeth touch. It's not very much. Maybe 1/4 inch of movement or so. I'm moving my hand and trying to measure the amount that I think you should feel. It should not move in and out, only in the direction of rotation. It should have no motion up and down. None at all.
That is about what it moves. i just got back from the store with some friction modifier. it is 7 ounces. Should I put it all in? I know I have to suck some fluid out first. I am going to try what you said this weekend. What if it doesnt work?
Yes, put the whole bottle in. The feeling should subside. If it doesn't that posi-unit in the carrier has failed. Try this and let me know one way or the other how you make out.
how do I let you know once I close out the web site?

Just respond to me via this question as you are doing now. I'll be looking for your post and I'll respond to you as soon as I see it.

Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
real quick. should the two piece drive shaft pull apart easily? mine does not. Also, my ujoint cups have grease and are complete. would you replace them or re install the shaft and drive it? Last questions I promise.
If the u-joints swivel smoothly in all directions with no play, they are fine. No need to replace them. The two piece driveshaft doesn't always come apart easily. There may be a retainer that needs to be removed, and sometimes the get stuck together, by the vacuum that is created by the grease in the slip yoke. You can ask as many questions as you need to, no need to promise.
Thanks. so, how much movement should be at the tranny end? It seems to move around more than the rear end end. It does move up and down some. looks like it needs a new seal also. Can i pry the seal out with a screwdriver and put in a new one while still in the truck? Does the movement sound normal or sound like a problem? i did drop the tranny pan and change the filter already. I need to tow my 28 foot enclosed trailer with this truck. i just need it dependable. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a little play at the trans. There is a bushing inside the tail shaft that does where, but if you install a new seal and it does not leak, the play is acceptable. Yes, you can simply pop out the old seal and install the new one.
Ok last one for today. How do I know EXACTLY what rear end I have and what gear?

Look in your glove box, you will find your option tag. Between these two pictures I'm sending you, match the option codes that you find with the ones on these two pictures and you will find exactly which rear and gear ratios you have.

graphicgraphic

Thanks bro. I will get back to you in a few days on my results.

You're welcome. Just let me know if you need anything. Have a good night.

Ivan

see ya. goin to bed.

can you give me the pages with the rest of the options? A to E and J to Z?? Thanks good night this time

Yes, I'll shoot it to you in a little bit.
I'll tell you, whats easier than me sending you 20 images. List me what you have on your tag and I'll decipher them for you.
graphic

That worked, but those codes pretty much cover almost all of the charts anyway, so here are all the relevant ones. Next post will have more.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

And more....

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

And even more.... If I missed any just let me know.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Thanks alot. Talk to you after I try the figure 8 stuff.
I've got my fingers crossed for you!
you there??
Yes, I'm here.
sorry, went to bed. At church this morning. Well an update for ya. Put in the additive. Drove it around a bit to mix it in good. Pulled in a parking lot and started doing figure 8's. It only popped a few times!!! Sounded much better. What I have found is when going real slow is the worst. It still does it. Hopefully it will keep getting better. If it doesn't, can I just replace those items without removing the ring and pinion? I am a machinist of 24 years and a drag racer. I can do nuts and bolts. Talk to you tonight.

Yes, you can change the posi components, but since it has reduced, I think it will continue to do so without replacing anything. Give it some more time to work in. I'm thrilled it is working. Keep me in the loop.

Ivan

It is pretty good when moving at a decent speed. 8-12 MPH doing the figure 8's. Pulling in and out of parking spots is REALLY bad still. Sounds like something trying to break. I think it is worse than just the clutches sticking to be honest. If it is not the clutches what to do? Or if they are just STUCK, can I manually unstick them by prying something apart ect. I need an exploded view of the rear end. What parts do I need to change If I do the repair? By the way, I plan to give you a bonus if this truck doesnt break me!!!
When you deciphered the option tag, which rear did you find out you had?

G80-posi traction, limited slip.

GT5-4:10 gear

still looking for type, dana ect

got to go to bed. this is tiring me out. talk to you Monday evening. You da best dude!!

I am looking into some things for you. Just hang in there with me.

I think you may have a 10.5 ring gear. Call a Chevy or GMC dealer today and give them the last eight of your vin # XXXXX they should tell you which rear you have, then let me know and I'll send you some info.

Ivan

I work three jobs. got home too late today. I will call them tomorrow and get back with you in the evening. Thanks AGAIN.

Rick

Rick, you are very welcome. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Have a good night.

Ivan

I called a dealer today. They said it was a 10.5" ring gear and it was a

Saginaw American Axle?

What do you think??

That's what I thought you were going to have. Here is some info for you.

Disassembling the differential

• Tools Required:
  • J 22912-01 Bearing Remover

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. The ring gear and differential side bearings.
  2. Case screws.
    • Set the unit on the right side case half.

1. Case halves.
    1. Pry the halves apart at the yoke hole location.
    2. Hold the side gear in the left side case half.
  1. Governor assembly.
  2. Latching bracket assembly.
  3. Left side gear.
  4. Left side clutch plates and guide clips.
  5. Left side gear thrust washer.
  6. Reaction blocks, pinion yoke, pinion gears, and pinion thrust washers.
  7. Right cam unit from the differentiate
  8. Right side gear thrust washer.
    • Measure and record the overall length of the gear assembly from the front of the gear to the back of the thrust sleeve including the side gear thrust washer.
  1. Thrust sleeve using J 22912-01.

• Press the sleeve from the side gear.
  1. Clutch plates.
  2. Guide clips.
  3. Wave washer.
  4. Cam plate.
  5. Side cam gear.

Cam unit assembly

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. Cam plate to the side cam gear.
  2. Wave washer.
  3. Clutch plates.

• Alternate the plates and position the wave washer as shown.
  1. Thrust sleeve.
    • Press the thrust sleeve flush with the side gear disc spline.
  1. Guide clips to the plates.
    • Use a chassis grease in the clips to hold them in place on the plates.
  1. If the side gear or thrust sleeve has been replaced, measure and record the overall length of the gear to the back of the thrust sleeve including the side gear thrust washer.
  2. Compare this reading with the reading obtained earlier.
  3. If the new reading is more than 0.0762 mm (0.003 inch) higher or lower than the original, select a side gear thrust washer that will return the reading closest to the original reading.

Adjustment of the differential
  • If it is necessary to replace the cam gear, the right hand side gear, or the reaction blocks, the entire differential must be adjusted. The differential is adjusted using selective thickness thrust washers behind each side gear, and selective thickness thrust washers between the reaction blocks.
  • It is important to build up the differential properly. The proper clearance between parts is critical to the operation of the unit.
  • There are three adjustments needed: (1) Left side gear backlash.

(2) Right side gear backlash.
(3) Thrust block clearance.

I have some backlash measuring procedures also.

I still think I have a dana rear end. here is a pic.

graphic

Give me a picture of what pokes through the center of the rear hub. Is it a full floating axle, that has bolts that need to be removed to pull the axle?

take bolts out. Pull axle out. Remove drum. Inner and outer bearing in drum.
It's considered a Dana/Spicer Full Floating Differential. I think that mean Spicer axles with a Dana center, definitely a 10.5 inch ring gear.
Is the dis assembly info still valid then?? Pics didnt look like what I have. Talk to you tomorrow.
Pull the rear cover and see what the carrier looks like. Send me pics when you do. This info should be right. It is for a 10.5 inch full floating axle dana/spicer. It's the only one it shows for your truck, but if there are differences, I'll find you other info.
I will have to wait until this weekend. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it then.
Ok, that's fine, Let me know when you are ready.
did you get my message?
No, it didn't come through, the last thing I received was that you were going to take things apart over the weekend.
I have not driven it since last weekend. I drove it to work today. 40 miles each way. It did not pop and bavg once. I drove in figure 8's at lunch. no popping. i will drive it a couple more days to see whats up. I guess you were right!!!!!!!!!!! It is abso much better. i guess that stuff had to soak in.

Definitely probable. The clutches do need to absorb the additive. You sir, are done. It won't come back. Now when you are swaying down the road, just say you are checking for popping :)

Ivan

If I accept another question , do YOU get the money???
Yes I do, thank you for asking.
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Did you get the additional $18??

I absolutely did, and thank you for the awesome feedback. It was a pleasure working with you.

what do I do if I have a different problem?
You can either request me, put my name in the question, or state your question as THIS QUESTION IS FOR IVAN. I'll get it or someone will alert me to it.

Ok. Thanks alot for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, while I still have you here.

When I put the brakes on the front is real "floaty". It wobbles just a little like the discs need turned. You think the floatyness is shocks or front end parts?? Thats all I will ask.

Describe it a little more for me. Is it a shake in the steering wheel or does the truck sway slightly from side to side?

Just got done installing a new hydro Boost unit. Mine was leaking like crazy. I also charged the AC unit. Brakes are a little better and air is cold. Drove truck all day and I can't make it pop. Good day so far.

Front end of truck def moves side to side. It is not just steering wheel. I was planning on new gas shocks and turning the discs and bleeding the front. Your thoughts??

I would tell you to install 2 new front brake hoses and bleed the brakes. Also make sure the rear brakes are adjusted. If the rear brakes are not fully engaging the front brakes will dart to the left or right. Brake hoses can grab and pull the truck one way or the other.
Really. I would not think the hoses would have anything to do with it. Guess thats why you are on that end. Shocks have nothing to do with it?? I will get two new hoses tomorrow and do all of it. If you remember, I put new wheel cylinders on the rear and bled them. I believe they are good.
Does the truck sway upon first hitting the brakes, or is it a constant motion during braking?
I have found it not as bad if I barely put the brakes on or if I hit them real hard. In the middle is the worst.
Do this, Jack the truck up so the front tires are about 2 inches off the ground. Place a long bar under the tire and pry up on the tire to check the lower ball joints. These big trucks beat up the front end. Let's see if we have anything going on there.
I will do it tomorrow. Which way will the tire move if there is a problem? Up or out? I will let you know tomorrow what it does.
Is should move up and down if the ball joint has play.
Talk to you tomorrow evening. I will let you know then. Thanks bro.
You are very welcome. Have a good night, and we'll speak tomorrow.

Whats up Ivan?? Well I was intending to do the tests today, but, some butt wipe decided to give me a rock. I just wish i could have put the window down BEFORE they put it in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes someone threw a rock through my wife's suburban. Anywho I may not get to it today. I will talk at you later.

The truck front end def wobbles around when the brakes are applied. Give me a list to follow.

1- raise truck and pry upward to check for movement.

2-New brake hoses on front(is that a dealer item or Autozone??)

3-Bleed front

4-shocks(what kind??)

5-resurface or replace discs

Check the front end as we described, but I would like you to put 2 new rotors on the front. Resurfacing may cure things now, but with the mass of the truck they most likely will warp again. Start with that. Let me know how it works and what you find, then we'll go to some other things.
10-fo
I'll be awaiting your news. Good luck on the window.
Window install went great. checked on discs. They are a freakin hundred bucks each!!!!!!!!!!! They said they have an attatched hub and new studs. What????

I don't remember if we ever discussed if your's was 4wd, or 2wd. From your reply, I'm assuming you have a 2wd truck. If that is the case, it is a huge component and does come with the hub.

graphic

yep that is the case. I will def resurface the ones I have. i have a machine shop and can do it myself. I will try to get it taken care of quickly and get back to you. have a good week. Till then

Rick

Well that makes it easier. If you can do them yourself, then its worth doing them. You have nothing to lose. If they warp again, then replace them. That truck needs all the brake it can get. Keep me in the loop. Have a good week too.

Ivan

You there Big I??? I am trying to take off my front disc. There is some kind of cap in the center. is there a nut behind it or should it slide off?? by the way, whoever did the brakes last time had the right side brake hose twisted a couple turns. Don't know if that would restrict hydraulic pressure or not. Any who I need to get the discs off asap. Running out of daylight.
Yes sir, Big I here. Yes under the cap is a nut, one you take that off, the rotor should slide off. It uses a hub bearing rather than tapered bearings. I have seen those brake hoses twisted before. Definitely not a good thing. At least you can straighten it back out when you put things together.
alright. I got them off. I just got new bearings, seals, brake pads and gas shocks. I did the prybar test and I did not feel a loose link per say moving upward. When I lifted up, the truck moved up. Some of the bearings were in bad shape. The discs seemed really true. I am a machinist and I have a good eye for things being "right". All four surfaces are smooth. They have a little color from heat i guess. I will take them to work and skim them. Do you know a minimum thickness??? OK another busy day tomorrow.

I am presuming your truck is a HD. Here are HD specs

graphic

But if it's not HD here are those specs too.

graphic

from all the info i have been consuming I do not think it is HD. Isn't an HD 15,000 lbs?? I know mine is 10,000.
I'm not sure, I'd have to look, but if yours was a HD, it would have that filler panel below the grill.
Think the twisted line could effect braking?
It's very possible, since you got everything apart, why not throw a pair in.
dealer or autozone?
Autozone should be totally fine.
ok. I will get back with you in a couple days I would guess. Thanks
Good luck. I'll talk to you soon. Have a good night.
Ok, New break pads, new shocks, bled front, new shocks. Wobble went 98% away. Brake pedal still has a mushy feel. It is 10 times better than when I got the truck. How do I firm up the brake pedal???
Ok, this is how I do these GM trucks. Bleed all 4 brakes regardless of whether you touched them or not. Use a hose from the bleeder into a bottle of brake fluid. Open the bleeder and pump the pedal 5 times, close the bleeder and go to the next. Do, RR, LR, RF, LF. That should firm the pedal up. I found open bleeding doesn't give the greatest results.
Forgot to tell you, I resurfaced the discs. They came out sweet and in tolerance. 1.473 thick. i will try the bottle bleed deal and get back to you. Could it be the rubber lines in front going bad?? I did not replace them.
Chances are it's only air. Firm up the pedal and see how things feel. I think it will feel good. If it tugs left or right when braking, then do the hoses. This truck is going to feel like new when you're done!
I will let you know tomorrow night.
Deal. Have a good night.
How do?? Alright, I did the bleed deal. Put hose on bleeder. Opened it up, pumped 5 or more times, closed it before hitting the floor on the last pump. Did rear first. then front. Rear didn't seem to move as much fluid as the front. Brakes really feel about the same!! My wife's 99 GMC suburban has a rock hard brake pedal. It does not have a hydroboost though. I can not get a locked up feel with the brakes. I realize it is a big truck. the suburban will put you on the dash with its brakes. I am not thrilled with towing a 28 foot enclosed trailer like this. Whats next???

Usually hydroboost has a spongy feel, but good braking. If you reused the original pads, it's possible that they are hardened and not meshing with the rotors, just gliding over the surface. If you didn't install new pads, do that and see what happens.

I put new pads on the front. The disc surfaces are perfect as far as thickness and parallel. I read online that if the power steering pump is not pumping enough it could affect the braking. Could that be something to look into?
I don't think so. Have you seated the brakes in yet? Also what kind of pads did you use. Sometimes the bad composition is too hard and does not grip the rotor. I've encountered this with some heavy duty pads.
If you don't mind, let's start a new question. Just start it as IVAN, lets continue and I'll immediately grab it. There are so many posts on this one, it takes forever to load. We'll continue on the next one, and it will be much nicer to work with.

how do I do that

Just start a new question in the GMC section and make your question title, "IVAN I'm ready to continue". I'll answer it and we'll continue as we have been. I've got such a delay typing in my end, it's driving me nuts.:)