GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2003 GMC: crank..hood..instrument panel..the headlights and flashers…

Customer Question
my fiance has a 2003...
my fiance has a 2003 GMC Denali and apparently there was a penny that had slid down into the accessory cig lighter plug...when she went to crank it...sparks flew and smoke under the hood...she called the fire department (SUV was in garage & she couldn't get it out) Problem #1 will not crank - will turn over and then just die Problem #2 no lights anywhere inside including instrument panel although the headlights and flashers work fine. It fried the cig accessory fuse...the fuses that it continues to blow are a 15amp INFO fuse, a 15amp TBC 2A fuse and a 15amp TBC 2B fuse. What can I do to get it started?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
7/6/2010
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

IT is likely the short had melted part of the instrument panel wiring. I would start by inspecting that wiring. It is likely that you need to replace the large harness.

Also check the wiring to the underhood fuse block.

I'm doing a follow up and noticed that you havent replied back or ACCEPT the answer to your question yet. Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. Keep in mind that the experts on this site are compensated for their time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Thank you for your answer. I am sorry for the delay in responding. If it is found to be the instrument panel wiring harness what vehicle is compatible with the 2003 denali. GMC says the part is 4,400. I am going to a salvage yard. Thanks and I will accept your answer.

You need to click the ACCEPT link to complete the accept. Thanks.

Thanks.

Edited by GM Tech (Cam) on 7/9/2010 at 12:40 PM EST