GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Driver side ac blowing hot air

AC is blowing in hot...

AC is blowing in hot air on the driver’s side and cold on passenger side. It’s a 2004 Denali.

7/1/2010
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician

The problem is a worn driver’s side temperature actuator. There is updated software available for the a/c control module that can fix this condition. You can have the dealer install this update for you. They will typically charge $50-100 to do this.

If the actuator module is the issue and not a worn actuator door, how can an update fix this issue?

I was just considering the part where you said worn. Software updates normally correct new part installations and not worn parts from previous installations.

The actuator is feedback to the a/c control module. As the actuator wears, the feedback from the actuator goes outside of the normal limits. The control module will then force the actuator into a default position (heat). The new software opens up the feedback limits for the actuators. I have included below a technical service bulletin that explains this problem and the correction.

Bulletin No.: 06-01-38-003

Date: April 27, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Intermittent Ticking Noise from I/P, Poor A/C Performance, HVAC DTCs B0229, B0414, B0424, B3770 (Reprogram HVAC Control Module).

Models:
2004-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2004-2006 GMC Sierra Models, Yukon Models with Air Conditioning (RPOs CJ2, CJ3).

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following concerns:

^

Intermittent ticking/clicking noise from the instrument panel.

^

Recirculation mode does not work or Air Conditioning (A/C) system performance is poor during high ambient temperatures.

^

Unable to control the driver side temperature.

^

Unable to control the passenger side temperature.

^

Unable to change the front system modes.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) actuators that may hunt for the correct commanded position. This cycling may cause a clicking or ticking noise.

An over travel of the HVAC system control doors may cause one or more of the concerns listed above. If an over travel occurs, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set, and the door will go to a preset default position. When a system door defaults, that door will stay at the default position until the DTC is cleared. After the DTC is cleared, the door will operate properly until the over travel condition re-occurs.

The table lists the HVAC system doors and the DTC associated with it.

Correction

Technicians are to perform the normal diagnostic procedures in SI for these concerns. If diagnostics show that the HVAC system door(s) travel below 5 counts (out of the lower range) or above 250 counts (out of the upper range), then update the software calibrations in the HVAC control module. The new calibrations were made available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 2.5, which was broadcast to dealers in February 2006.

The new calibrations have been updated to compensate for the actuator over travel condition, the actuator hunting and the ticking/clicking noises. The new calibrations effectively eliminate the codes listed above, the default position of the doors associated with the DTCs and opens up the feedback position value.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician

You can replace the actuator, but it is usually unnecessary. Having the update done will prevent problems with the other actuators in the system in the future.

Would this be a recall situation?

This is not a recall. A technical service bulletin just gives the technician some additional information to help in diagnosis. The dealer will typically charge $50-100 for this update, but it is cheaper than replacing an actuator and will also prevent future problems.