GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

99 olds aurora: new a new steering column..there a repair/service shop…

Customer Question
i just found out that...
i just found out that i will new a new steering column for my 99 olds aurora. how much will that set me back and is there a repair/service shop here in phx., az that is reasonable?

thank you,
renee
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
GM Mechanic: fritzef, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
fritzef
fritzef, ASE Certified Technician
HI, can i ask why you were told you needed a steering column? Lets start from the beginning, What trouble are you having with the car, what kind of symptoms? Let me know and i will try to help you out. Thanks,Eric
when i turn the ignition to start the car, and release my hand from the key, the engine would die out. i had another friend try to start it, he said if you hold the key in the start position the engine stays running. but then, when we turned the car off the key would be stuck in the ignition and would take about 30 minutes or so to get it out. on another occasion the car made a pop sound after i've tried to start the car about 2 times. also i noticed that the radio switched from power to manual and i'm not sure if thats relevant or not.

Okay, So if you start the car is shuts right back off?

But if you hold the key in crank position the engine will stay running?

When you turn the key off, does it turn all the way off?

yes, engine turns itself off, yes. yes the key will turn all the way off and will be stuck in the ignition. wont come out unless you start jiggling it around. and there is also a loud pop noise when you try to start it up a second time
Okay,as far as the key sticking and not coming out. it sounds like you have a problem with the lock cylinder. Especially since you "jiggle" it to remove. As far as the starting problem goes, is there a security light on the dash flashing when you turn the key to run? Let me know , Thanks,Eric
there is a security light, but it doesnt flash, a locksmith tried my car, and said that because the security light isnt flashing its not the key. now when he turned the car off and tried to start it again, it mad a loud pop under the hood. but then he could start the car.

Ill open this back up, maybe another expert can help you.Thanks,Eric