GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

97 gmc: you put gas/starting fluid in carb..cranks fine

Customer Question
have 97 gmc serrira. will...
have 97 gmc serrira. will not crank unless you put gas/starting fluid in carb. will run/drive after it cranks fine. help..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/29/2010
GM Mechanic: ironmike, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech

greetings,

do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on to run?(not crank)

no,but it drives and run fine after you start it.

greetings,

When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, before engaging starter, the Control Module energizes the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds allowing the fuel pump to build up pressure. The truck must be getting the prime from you and then running of the power through the oil sending unit. We need to check the ECMB fuse, if good you can swap the fuel pump relay with another relay in the under hood power distribution center. If that does not work we need to see if the relay is getting power from the fuse and ECM. You will need a test light or multi meter.

good luck