GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Front air doesnt blow on recycle, only with air from outside.

Customer Question
rear air seems to work...
front air doesnt blow on recycle, only with air from outside. rear air seems to work fine
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/28/2010
GM Mechanic: Dave Nova, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
What year/make/ model is your vehicle?
2003 GMC Yukon

The problem is most likely going to be a faulty air inlet actuator. This electronic actuator moves a door that will allow airflow from either outside or inside the cab for recirculate. This actuator is difficult to replace and requires removal of the dash.

This repair will typically cost $400-425.

i have been told the blower motor and resistor could be the problem?
The blower motor and resistor do not direct the airflow. If the fan blows on all speed settings, there is nothing wrong with the blower motor or resistor.
the fan does not blow on any setting in the front. just the rear ac

Okay, when you said in your original question that it blew with air from outside, I assumed you meant the blower motor was operational.

Yes, if the blower does not operate at all, the problem will be in the resistor. You will need to replace the blower resistor and the resistor connector. The blower motor should be okay. The resistor is located under the passenger side of the dash in the blower housing near the blower motor. Remove the plastic panel under the passenger side of the dash for access.

graphic

i can feel air when the re-circulate button is off up front, but i cannot control the speed of it with the controls. the faster i go, the more air i get. so is this something i can get at an auto parts store and do myself?

When the recirculate button is off, outside air can be forced in while driving.

You can replace the parts yourself, it is not that hard to do. These parts are available online, at the GM dealer, on ebay, and at most parts stores. Make sure you replace the connector and the resistor both, as the connector is usually damaged when the resistor fails.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Thank you for your help
You are welcome. Thanks for using Justanswer.