GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2007 gmc yukon xl drivers side front end knocking noise

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/28/2010
GM Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello JACUSTOMER, when does it typically make this noise?
It makes the noise on un even pavement.It does not always happen.It does seem to happen more after it rains or there is alot of mositure in the air.I did have the sway bar bushing replaced last week.But the noise is still there.
Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Is this a newer body style Yukon?
No I cannot feel it in the steering wheel.Yes it is a newer body style.
Sorry, one last question. Is the vehicleXXXXX
yes it is a four wheel , also can feel it when making turns.
Okay. The most common issues that cause this on your vehicle are bad front shocks or the inner rack tie rods coming loose. Start by checking the shocks for any signs of fluid. If the shocks are wet at all then replace them. If the shocks are fine then the inner rack sockets need to be checked.
just had the inner tie rod replaced and the noise is still there.Do you think a gmc dealership would find the problem if they put it on a computer machine.
The computer would not show any reason for the noise. Were the xhocks checked?

yes the shocks were checked and they are fine.Is it possible for a shock to be bad if their is no sigh of leaks.It sounds like the noise of the intermediate sterring shaft but their is no movement in vibration coming from wheel.

Please forward your last reply.I did not get it.I will be bringing my yukon to the gmc dealership thursday.Their going to try to find the problem.Any more suggestions.Thank you.
The computer would not show a code just because you are getting noise. It is common to get noise from the suspension even if the shocks are not leaking.
the problem is still not resolved.gmc would like to replace the entire drivers side control arms , ball joints and tie rods.thats out of the question. they just can't find the problem.The front end specialist, pumped the ball joints with grease even know their is no grease in the new suspension for 2007, also greased the control arms to seem if the noise will go away.gmc also put in a upper steering shaft but took it out because that did not solve it.I think l'll stick with the front end specialist at list he is not playing trial and error with my money.he just eliminating certain areas before he replaces any more.
Have him check to see if the front differential fluid is in good shape. If not then the noise may be grabbing in the front differential.
ok i will
Keep me updated. I will see what else I can come up with also.