ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  30 years L1, GM certified
11302663

2004 gmc: up...new compressor..cool down..only 68 degrees

Customer Question

2004 gmc oriface tube location, had to replace a/c compressor.blew up...new compressor,dryer can't find oriface tube..went ahead and filled system but will not cool down like it should only 68 degrees
Category: GM
Expert:  ironmike replied 8 years ago.

greetings,

the orifice is in line going to the evaporator(smaller line) above the accumulator(small dimples on the line where the filter stops). It can be split with 2 wrenches, make sure the filter goes in the same way it cam out and use some oil on the o ring(filter) and o ring on the line. Adding an ounce or 2 of oil with dye now is usually a good idea. Make sure you evacuate the system

graphic

let me know how it goes

good luck

Edited by ironmike on 6/28/2010 at 6:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there is no oriface screen in the small line going into the evap....the line is too small for any screen I have ever seen! Is there a different line split inside the evaporator case????
Expert:  ironmike replied 8 years ago.

the filter looks like this and it does go into the aluminum high side line.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
All the pix are for a van/truck...this is a GMC/Isuzu cab over...6.0L...the compresser is just like a truck/van ....condenser is mounted on pass side in front of front tire w/it's own ele cooling fan...it measures 14x14....the small line going into the evap is 8.5mm o.d. did't mesure it when I had it apart but appears to be 5mm I.D. most oriface screens are 10mm o.d.
Expert:  ironmike replied 8 years ago.

I am very sorry, I went right to 3500 truck, not a cab over.

I will opt out and another expert will be with you.

Edited by ironmike on 6/28/2010 at 7:12 PM EST
Expert:  ironmike replied 8 years ago.

Most Asian vehicles have a receiver dryer which is like the accumulator and orifice combined. Look by the front of the truck where the cab hinge is.

This is not the 6.0 but in front of the inter cooler is the dryer.

graphic

Edited by ironmike on 6/28/2010 at 7:24 PM EST