GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2000 GMC Yukon: pedal down..tranny..rev at the top end at times…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 GMC...
I have a 2000 GMC Yukon with 157,000 on it. It has been a trouble free rig. In the last year I noticed that when I put the pedal down to pass, the tranny would down shit and then over rev at the top end at times. I'd have to let off the gas to get it to make the shift. 6 months later it seems a bit more pronounced every time I put the pedal down, so I've stopped putting the pedal down as much and tried not to ask so much from the rig, I might even give passing other cars. it starts from a stop fine, shifts throught the gears just fine with a less heavy pedal, but put the hammer down and it will over rev, which seems to me to be a slipping tranny. This seems to happen around 70 mph that i can tell it's starting to over rev. Is this a death sentence for my transmission? I checked the tranny fluid and it dosen't seem burned, or taste burned. Is it possible to have a machanic drop the pan and find a cheap fix for a problem like I have? If not, what Might I expect to have my tranny rebuit or replaced. Thanks for your time. Scot.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/28/2010
GM Mechanic: John, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
John, GMC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
john :

hELLO & wELCOME TO ja,

john :

I would have a mechanic drop the pan & take a look to see if there is any metal in the bottom.
Also have him scan the computer for fault codes ,the transmission will set a slip code & maybe others if it is slipping.It sounds like the 4th gear clutches are slipping due to internal pressure loss of worn clutches.

Customer:

If the clutches are worn and I lose that fluid with the bits in it dropoping the pan, I suspect it might start slipping even worse when the fluid is replaced. Almost a catch 22 to look. I supose I could start with a trouble code and then maybe it's time to sell. Any idea what I might expect to pay to have this rebuilt at a tranny shop?

john :

Start with a look at the codes in the computer.

replacing the fluid & filter WILL NOT worsen this condition.What is in the pan is allready worn & just getting sucked up into the filter.IF there is enough ,it will stop up the filter & you will have "no go" in any gear.
I suggest getting a "REMAN" trans from GM.All new parts & converter with a warranty.
IF you prefer you can have another shop install it.

john :

Price for reman is around 2000.00