GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2001 Chevy suburban: starter..cables..it disconnected......I…

Customer Question
Trying to remove the starter...
Trying to remove the starter on a 2001 Chevy suburban 15000 V8....how do i get the cables attached to it disconnected......I am trying to replace the cranshaft monitor and need to remove the starter to get to it. thanks,mj
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/27/2010
GM Mechanic: John, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
John, GMC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Customer:

hello....

john :

I am going to get the info w/pics for removing the starter for you,be right back.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Starter Replacement (4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L Engines)

Object Number: 662092  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the engine oil level indicator tube fasteners and position aside. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Object Number: 663487  Size: SH
  2. Remove the right transmission cover bolt.
    Object Number: 663527  Size: SH
  3. Remove the starter bolts.
  4. Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
  5. Slide the starter forward until the starter clears the transmission.
    Object Number: 662991  Size: SH
  6. Remove the starter solenoid nut (3).
  7. Remove the starter lead (2) from the solenoid stud.
    Object Number: 662510  Size: SH
  8. Remove the starter lead nut.
  9. Remove the positive cable from the starter stud.
  10. Place the starter on a workbench.
    Object Number: 663489  Size: SH
  11. Unsnap the transmission cover from the starter.
    Object Number: 663472  Size: SH
  12. If necessary, remove the starter shield.

Object Number: 663472  Size: SH
  1. If necessary, install the starter shield.
    Object Number: 663489  Size: SH
  2. Snap the transmission cover to the starter.

Object Number: 662510  Size: SH
  3. Install the positive cable to the starter stud.
  4. Install the starter lead nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the starter lead nut to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Object Number: 662991  Size: SH
  5. Install the starter solenoid lead (2) to the solenoid stud.
  6. Install the starter solenoid nut (3).

Tighten
    Tighten the starter solenoid nut to 3.4 N·m (30 lb in).

Object Number: 663527  Size: SH
  7. Snap the transmission cover onto the starter.
  8. Slide the starter rearward.
  9. Install the starter bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the starter bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

10. Connect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
    Object Number: 663487  Size: SH
  11. Install the right transmission cover bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the transmission cover bolt to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

12. Lower the vehicle.
  13. Install the engine oil level indicator tube. Object Number: 662092  Size: SH
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Object Number: 211621  Size: SH
  1. Refer to

in Cautions and Notices.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Raise the vehicle. Remove the starter. .
    Object Number: 56592  Size: SH
  3. Disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.
    Object Number: 55322  Size: SH
  4. Clean the area around the CKP sensor before removal in order to avoid debris from entering the engine.
  5. Remove the CKP sensor retaining fastener.
  6. Remove the CKP sensor.
  1. Install the CKP sensor.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Object Number: 55322  Size: SH
  2. Install the CKP sensor retaining fastener.

Tighten
    Tighten the fastener to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 56592  Size: SH
  3. Connect the CKP sensor electrical connector.
    Object Number: 211621  Size: SH
  4. Install the starter. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Perform the CKP system variation learn procedure.

John, thanks for the info...my question was around, trying to get the cables to the starter motor disconnected....i can't get my ratchet in there to unscrew the bolts, it's too tight...there does not appear to be enough room for me to work it?

thanks,mj

Yes,it is very tight ,sometimes you can drop the starter down a bit ,since you are after the crank sensor.The started will not have to come all the way off.