GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

03 denali and I lose all sounds but everything..seat..mirror...have…

Customer Question
I have 03 denali and...
I have 03 denali and I lose all sounds but everything still works.example seat memory doesn't beep chime when lights left on doesn't chime onstar does't speak but light is flashing on mirror and radio won't play but is on and functioning correctly. then out of the blue sound comes back on after a few days.I do notice that the volume bars are not showing and radio seems to freeze up when changing staitions until sounds comes back on.have tried another radio wich shows volume bars and doesn't freeze up but still has no sound.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2010
GM Mechanic: GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

Do you have the BOSE radio or system? With the Denali package it is likely

Thanks for replying. yes it is a bose system am fm cassette and cd in dash. seprate 6 disc player and daul dvd entertainment system.

I see you said all functions still oprate correctly just no sound. Please confirm this

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/26/2010 at 11:40 PM EST
Yes everything seems to function correctly . except when i lose sound i lose volume bars and radio freezes up when changing staitions.

You first statement claims "have tried another radio wich shows volume bars and doesn't freeze up but still has no sound."

Is this second radio installed in the vehicle? If so was it properly programmed by a dealer?

I have to leave, but I will check back in later tonight or in the morning. You may have either a radio issue or an amplifier issue.I need to keep digging for symptoms before I give you my best choice.

Add any information that may help. Thanks Ill do my best to sort it out.

I am in the used auto parts buissness and had access to a used radio. with key in accessory position the 2nd radio lit up volume bars all features but had no sound. once i started the vehicle it locked so i put original radio back in and a few days later it started working again. it has since been fine until last night driving home and just went quit :( its been a few weeks working fine.

Yes a replacement radio will lock until you have it calibrated for your vehicle, which includes speaker options, security, VIN etc... You particular type vehicle is very prone to intermittent amplifier operation. I would start with replacing the amplifier located under the front floor console.You would remove both front seats and then the console. It is located in the lower console floor area under the large console compartment. If your going used parts you would have to get an exact match for your BOSE amp, because the non BOSE is not compatible with your radio. Just remember the used parts could have the exact same issue. GM has develpoed an newer design amp to help solve this issue. I have had to replace several amps, due to loss of all vehicle sounds. Now on your radio freezing issue, you may also have a radio issue, but I would recommend replace the amp first. This is because the radio and amp "talk" to each other on a network, and its possible if the radio freezes when there is no sound the amp may be confusing the radio and it doesn't know what to do and just freezes. Id say replace the amp and reevaluate.

I hope I have answered you question, I would appreciate you choosing Accept, we can still continue to discuss your issue further even after you do. You choosing Accept is the ONLY way I receive credit.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/27/2010 at 2:32 PM EST
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for accepting. Let me know if I can help anymore with this issue.
Thanks for your help. I have one more question iff possiable . can the factory amp be replaced with an after market amp ?

Honestly Im not too sure of that. I feel it may be possible, but you may loose something, like the rear audio sound, chimes and signal sounds. The rear audio is very dependant on that amp. You may can contact an after market audio installer and ask them. Just be sure to question if you will loose any of you functions and sounds you may want. Sorry I cant be more clear. I have found once you go outside the OEM for accessories sometimes you open a can of worms. If you like your vehicle and the way it operates when it operates correctly I would suggest steer clear of aftermarket parts or ad ons.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/27/2010 at 7:04 PM EST
Finaly tracked down a used amp. plugged it in and everything came on all my chimes radio onstar working mint as of now lol. thanks for your help good service.
Your welcome. I hope it keeps working even though its a used part..