GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

GMC Envoy: possible for outside water to get into the engine…

I just had my GMC...
I just had my GMC Envoy fixed for water intrusion into the engine. Apperently it is possible for outside water to get into the engine. Is this true? Sounds like a design problem.
6/26/2010
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

With all vehicles it is possible to ingest water into the engine if the water is in the vicinity of the air intake. The import tuners like to put cold air intake kits on their engines that take the air from near the road in the belief that the air is colder and denser there. All is fine until they drive in the rain!

The engine pulls a great amount of air into the engine acting like a powerful vacuum cleaner so if the vehicle is driven into a large puddle or through a stream water will be drawn into the engine.

How much water did you get into?

Was the air filter destroyed?

Please let me know what I can do to help you with your questions

Thank you

Edited by George H on 6/26/2010 at 2:52 PM EST
It did not come through the air filter. The dealer replaced some sort of rubber seal that failed. He also replaced the sparkplugs and the fuel injection module on #4 cylinder. I did not drive in any unusual water conditions except the I did have an automatic car wash for the first ime about a week before the engine failure.

No Idea how much water got in except the plugs showed sins of rust. The dealer said it was I good thibng I broughtvteb car in ASAP (Less than ad auy after the engine started missing, else the might have had to reolace the entire engie.

I don't understand why a truck should have this kind of failure.

OK it was coolant that entered the engine!

What year is your Envoy and which engine size?

It was not coolant! The rubber seal is some sort of external seal. It is rather large, 5 feet long by two inches wide (I asked for the old parts, it is called Seal. Air Inlet), but I didn't see the seal on the engine anywhere. Although I did not get under the engine.

It is a 2003 straight six cylnder engine.

Ok now I understand,

The hood seal leaked at the cowling and rained on #4 sparkplug

I think you will find this bulletin interesting reading

click here

Let me know what further questions you have about this

Thanks

A Ha! Thats the ticket. More explanation than I received from the dealer. I noticed in the bulletin that the repair must include the revised Seal. So, it is a design problem.

The car is always parked in a garage and our driveway slopes up to the garage. There were no heavy rains in the preceeding period. However, after having the car washed, we proceeded to pick up our son in Orlando, a 55 mile trip that raverses through some hilly country, so thats porbably where the water got in,

It is a design issue but you will get no help from GM on this one and not just because they are bankrupt.

TSBs are issued to help the service tech identify problems that are presented in the service bays. They do not mean that a recall is issued or that the part/condition will be covered beyond the original warranty.

Safety issues that are mandated by the NHTSA will result in a recall that the manufacturer will pay for the repair but this does not fall into that catagory.

This is a problem that was identified through the service return process and could be a canidate for a "goodwill" repair but that would be evaluated on a case by case basis at the dealer.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

I traded in the GMC Envoy for a 2011 GMC Acadia with which I am very satisfied. While I am very satisfied with you response and was able to wring a credit for future service from the dealer. However, I will never use it since I bought the Acadia from a different dealer

Please lets end the communications now until I need help again (God Forbid)

I hope your Acadia provides many miles of trouble free service and please let me know if there is anything I cann do for you in the future

Thank you for using JA!!