GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Pontiac Montana: Van..carpet was wet on the drivers side…

Customer Question
I have a Pontiac Montana...
I have a Pontiac Montana Van. I noted today that the carpet was wet on the drivers side. I pulled the carpet back and removed the pad underneath as it was soaking wet as well. I vaccuumed the carpet and put a fan on it to dry. I had to drive the van later today and when I got back home I noted that there was more water on the pad that was not removable and it was rather warm not cold. It was not raining today. I smelled it and it doesn't smell like antifreeze what could be the cause and how do I fix it??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/26/2010
GM Mechanic: GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

Your most likely have a/c condensation leaking into the passenger compartment. Very common on your van configuration. You need to find the condensation drain tube located on the bulk head above the steering rack on the passenger side. Somewhat difficult to spot sometimes. Start the engine run the a/c and watch for the water dripping. Find where it originates.Thats the tube. It should have a small 90 degree tube extender on it to pass water away from the body cavity. Many times this extender is lost and water drains backwards into the body. If its missing it will just be a little spout sticking through the bulkhead. The other possibility is the drain tube is blocked. You would still have to locate it and use something to clear the blockage. Light compressed air works well. One thing to note if it is draining properly, but it does not have he 90 extension you can add your own extension using hose. Just be sure to route it low and away from the body opening near the tube with no kinks

do you have a diagram of where this hose would be located?? I am a visual learner...so a picture from a repair manual marking where to look for this would be great!! thanks!!

do you have a diagram of where this hose would be located?? I am a visual learner...so a picture from a repair manual marking where to look for this would be great!! thanks!! I am not sure what the bulk head isor what you are meaning by the steering rack.

Sorry for the delay in response. I was tired and had to get some shut eye. No I cant find a diagram to upload an exact location. If you have the carpet pulled back and some of the lower panels removed, from the interior you can usually see the area where the A/C case meets the bulk head on the bottom. Along this point you will see an area that notable goes trough the bulkhead. It is about 1/2- 3/4 in diameter. You would just have to pinpoint that spot from the outside also. Ill keep looking for a diagram.
Okay I have the carpet pulled back and there is a flat black plastic piece that comes down the center between the front seats and then under which starts from the dash directly below where the radio/cd player and controls start? I have also been searching those key words that you used ont the internet hoping to find a diagram?? no luck so far?? so how big is this hose and 90 degree elbow that I am looking for??

Sorry missed your second part. Coffee is still brewing.. Bulkhead is a firewall, or the metal that separates engine from interior. The steering rack is the steering gear. Its a long tube shaped part that lies left to right connecting your suspension to be able to steer it. It is bolted to the front sub frame or engine cradle, at the rear just forward of the bulkhead. Your A/C condensation tube is just right (passenger side) center sticking though the bulkhead about 3/4 inch located about the steering rack. Sometimes hard to spot. Ill try to find a picture for you

This is the best I can do on short notice. These are not from a Montana, but very close placement and shape. The first picture shows without the 90 adapter, the second shows with. You should have one, if you don't, add a length of hose to route away from the bulk head downward to drip away from the bulk head. Montanas have a tendency to loose the 90 adapter and instead of water dripping it rolls back into the cab.

Remember you have to select Accept for me to receive credit for this answer. I will continue to work answering you initial question.

graphicgraphic

I am at work now I will have to check this out tonight when I get home. Hoping to find it and get resolved before I have to take it to a mechanic....as my hubby is currently laid off and money is tight!!! So if I am understanding you right then I can just put any type of hose into that hole to allow it to drain or shouldn't be connected to something on the inside to insure that it is draining properly?? Can I order the part meeded to fix it from an auto parts store?? I will reply and accept this once I find the area like you are describing...as in the past I never got any replies after I paid and so I didnt get my question fully answered. What has been your experience with the carpet and pad drying out?? The water that I was cleaning yesterday was kind of slimy and moldly, must smelling. Is there a certain way to make sure that the mold is killed and will not come back...I am thinking that I will have to splurge and have it professionally detailed out to cure as I have a son very allergic to mold. Any suggestions on that area??

Thanks!!

You can find the correct 90 degrees elbow if yours is missing from the GM dealer or salvage car parts. You don't have to us it though`. You just need to find a tube/hose that fits the spout and route it away and down not kinking it, keeping it away from moving parts and exhaust. Usually a hardware has clear reinforced vinyl hose that fits nicely. As far as the mold and mildew, The best way to deal with it is to remove the carpet to clean and dry it. You will need to use something that will kill the mold like Lysol or something similar. I would vacuum out the best you can, use fans and dry it. Be sure to spray the surrounding surfaces and metal floor before laying the carpet back down. If you cant tackle removing the carpet, do the best you can and check it periodically.

I wont leave you hanging, you need to find the spout and see if its draining/dripping after the a/c is running a few minutes. If no 90 then add a hose to route away.

well I think I found the spot that we are talking about...but no elbow.....and that area is a tricky one to try to get at. not sure how to get to it with out having to remove some of the parts of the van to get there...this one may be one my mechanic to take care of as I would hate to open anothr trouble with my fan when trying to fix this one. THANKS!! for your help and what is your thoughts??

Yes you would most defiantly have to at least raise the front of the vehicle safely, and support it. The spout is reachable without any parts removed. You could remove the passenger front tire and if you have enough arm reach.... reach in and place the hose or elbow on the spout. Did you test to see if it drips at all when the A/C is on after a few minutes? If it doesn't at least begin to form condensation it may be blocked. If yours is missing the elbow then you definitely need to add something to drain it away from the bulkhead. Very common problem on GM vehicles that are the same configuration as yours. There was a entire service bulletin about water leaks on these vehicle, and the area we are discussing as an area not sealed very well.

I hope I have answered your question thoroughly, I would appreciate you Accepting my answer, and we can still continue discussing your initial issue.

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/27/2010 at 2:14 PM EST
Do you need anymore advice with you water leak. I would appreciate you accepting my answer I provided for you. If I can give any more advice please post it.

okay we got a part ot put on it and ran the van. No water came out of there and the water continues to pool inside the van. We even stuck a wire inside this drain prior to placing the elbow onto the van and it went in easy. Where else is this possibly coming from?? This is a frustrating problem. How pricey are we talking to have it looked at by the pros and then what is the likely hood that it will be found?? I wouldlike to be able to run my a/c again in the van with out rotting out the carpet and the metal body from all the condensation water that is accumulating.....any suggestions??

You may need to have it blown out with compressed air as I stated originally. The spout simply goes into a catch basin that can become blocked with dirt and debris from the evaporator. Thats why I explained earlier it is important to be sure it is not blocked. Typically a cost on blowing out that spout is very reasonable. If blowing out the spout does not clear the blockage, then the A/C case will have to be removed and cleaned out., which is very very rare and pricey. You may can try just spraying some water into it with a garden hose nozzle. Yes you will be adding water to the A/C case, but it will clear and run out when you get the blockage free. You dont have to add a lot of water, just a quick seconds spritz. . Are you sure you found the A/C condensation spout?

Edited by GMWrencher on 6/27/2010 at 9:55 PM EST