GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

1998 GMC Sonoma: cyl..converter..awhile the engine service light came…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 GMC...
I have a 1998 GMC Sonoma 4 cyl catilitic converter got plugged..I removed it a gutted it put it back on after awhile the engine service light came on...took and had it checked said catilitic converter was bad...what can I do to plug up the sensor or disconect to get engine service light to go out and trruck to run normal ???don`t say replace converter''''''
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/25/2010
GM Mechanic: John, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
John, GMC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

john :

I understand what you did ,is the vehicle running ok,other than the check engine light on ?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

do I cut and splice any of the 4 wires...unplug...

Customer:

Is there another kind of fix???

john :

When there is no catalytic converter on your vehicle ,you will have a post 0/2 sensor failure code because the computer realizes the signal is incorrect.
If this is the way you want it,tie the harnees up,& go.
Connecting it to anything else will not give the correct voltage signal to satisfy the computer.

Customer: what are the advatages or dis advanatage of having or not catalytic converter?? what do you mean tie up harness and go???do you mean unplug from catalytic converter..
Customer: how will it run unplugged???
john :

The catalytic converter is on your vehicle for emission purposes only.Most states have emission statew inspection & without one your vehicle will not pass & is violating federal law.
When I reffered to tieing up the harness ,I am reffering to the 0/2 sensor behind th converter (post).Without a working converter the 0/2 behind the converter is useless,the converter is the reason it is there.It has no bearing on engine fuel control what so ever.

The 0/2 sensor in front of the converter is for fuel control.