GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Navigation: the slot behind the nav screen

Customer Question
My navigation disc will not...
My navigation disc will not read or eject from the slot behind the nav screen. The system does not seem to know it's in.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/24/2010
GM Mechanic: GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Questions.

Do you have any messages that appear on the screen. such as DVD error, No disc, Etc?

No messages. The system just behaves as if there is no disc in. My son was ejecting the disc when I started the car. The disc did not eject and now the system does not indicate the nav system disc is in
Does the remaining options for the radio function properly? Radio, Cd player, XM if equipped?
yes - everything works, including DVD player

Have you tried any repair attempts? How many miles on your vehicle?

48,000 miles. Took the nav unit out to see if I could get to the DVD slot but there was no obvious access
Did you happen to unplug all connectors?

From the nav unti - yes. It is a single ribbon connection. Re-connected it and the unit works fine. It just doesn't know there is a disc installed.

Did you take the radio apart at all, or just remove it and look and reinstall it. There should be multiple connectors.

All I pulled was the nav unit. That's just a touch screen with a single ribbon connector. It folds down when you want to insert or eject a nav disc

These don't have ribbon cables on the back of the radio. Is this where you unplugged it?

I beleive you radio is in logic lock. Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed/plugged in. Please list any if you do. Even if they are small or don't have anything to do with your radio.

One more thing, does the screen tilt or move at all when you call for ejecting the disc?

The touch screen unit folds itself down from the dashboard to reveal the slot for the nav cd. I unscrewed the unit from the carriage that it rides in. Only one ribbon cable connects it to the guts behind it.

No accessories. Everything else works. Currently showing a compass on the split screen with the radio

Got it. I beleive your unit is in logic lock. This is similar to what happens to PC's when to many keys or inputs are pressed and it basically confuses the system and shuts down or freezes. Your radio is one of many computers in your vehicle. You need to reboot your system. I suggest you perform that. The procedure is as follows. With everything plugged in and reinstalled that you have removed, gain access to your vehicle battery. It is located under the hood on the passenger side near the bulkhead. You disconnect both battery cables starting with the negative, then positive. Take both of those cables and connect the cables together away from the battery. This will drain all energy capacitors in the vehicle, it wll also erase any faults or memory stored. The cables need to be connected together for a minimum of 15 - 30 minutes. You just need to keep the positive and negative cables loose form the battery and connected to each other. After the required time, reconnect the cables to the battery, starting with the positive and finishing with the negative. Try not to arch the cables, and install them as quickly as possible. This should reboot your radio and return your functions.

GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Will this reset all the cars memory functions?
Yes that is a possibility. It will be a undesirable effect. If I understand you correctly you only unplugged the radio screen, not the actual radio that is mounted deep inside the dash.