GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

1999 GMC Yukon: valves to which I would attach the can of refrigerant?

Customer Question
I want to recharge the...
I want to recharge the refrigerant on my 1999 GMC Yukon myself. Where are the valves to which I would attach the can of refrigerant? I saw two near the top of the engine comaprtment. I want to make sure I connect to the right one.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/23/2010
GM Mechanic: Amedee, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician

Hello!

• Attach the red high-side hose with the quick disconnect coupler to the high-side refrigerant service valve fitting of the vehicle A/C system. This valve is in the receiver dehydrator tube, between the receiver and dehydrator and the condenser (2).
  • Open the high-side coupler valve.
  • Attach the blue low-side hose with the quick disconnect coupler to the low-side refrigerant charge valve fitting of the vehicle A/C system. This valve is located between in the compressor and condenser hose, between the compressor and the expansion (orifice) tube
  •  

graphic

This is more technical than I understand and seems generic. I was hoping:

a) Where these places are on the engine (1999 Yukon); and

b) which hose from the refrigerant goes where as the can I was looking at only had one hose and valve.

These parts will be located in the front of the engine compartment on the passenger side.

You can charge the system through the high or the low side. IT does not matter.

My final question is what is meant by high and/or low side?

Sorry for the delay!

THere are two sides to the AC system. ONe side is the high side and the other side is the low side. ONe has high pressure and the other has low pressure. You can charge the system from either side. Just one or the other.... but not both.