GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

97 gmc: v6..hill and hard to start mech says fuel pump wants $624…

Customer Question
97 gmc jimmy v6-262 4.3l...
97 gmc jimmy v6-262 4.3l just started stalling up hill and hard to start
mech says fuel pump wants $624 for the part ( oe-part )and 3.9 hrs labor at $331 for labor
is this correct
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/22/2010
GM Mechanic: Amedee, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician
Hello!

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is AMEDEE. I will be happy to help you out and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

THis very well might be the issue. I would recommend to start by checking fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! You can get a fuel pressure gage at a local auto parts store for cheap.

Also, it sounds like you might have a vacuum leak or the fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the intake causing your stalling. This is very common. When this happens, two things happen. Your fuel pressure is low because your fuel system is leaking and the extra fuel goes right into your engine and its not accounted for by the computer. The combination for both of these things can cause all sorts of problems and most likely is the cause of your stalling issue.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE
i guess im trying to see if im being overcharged for this service
YES... this sounds a bit expensive to me. I would shop around at other garages before making a decision.