GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

1997 gmc safari: 4.3 with 132,000 miles..instrument panal..gear shift…

Customer Question
i own o 1997 gmc...
i own o 1997 gmc safari with a 4.3 with 132,000 miles. my question is i cannot see the instrument panal with the gauages and the position of the gear shift during the day or in bright sun light. at night it's ok . i never had this problem before i thought it was the dimmer switch so i replaced it however i still have this problem. what part should be change to fix this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/19/2010
GM Mechanic: Dave Nova, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Turn the headlights on and off. Do you notice any difference in the intensity of the display?
dave i have daytime running lights so when i turn the headlight switch on the headlights go from 80% bright to 100% bright. the dash lights dim only when i lower the dimmer i can notice this at night however even wth the dimmer on bright i cannot see the dash or any of the gauages during the day.
The dash lights should operate with increased intensity during the day and slightly decreased intensity at night. When the daytime running lights are on, does the panel dimmer have any control over the lighting intesity ( will it dim the lighting any further? )

dave weather i increase the intensity or decrease i should be able to see my dash during the day. i cannot see weather the gear shifter is in park, drive, etc. and any of the gauages.

Yes, you should be able to see the instrument panel in the daytime regardless of the panel dimmer position. Just wanted to know if it made a difference at all. At the panel dimmer switch, test for voltage on the purple/white wire with the headlights off and on. Let me know what you find.

graphic

dave i cannot check today can i continue with you at a later date?

Yes, just get back to me when you can. I will leave this question open, don't open a new question.

dave i want to accept your reply however there is no accept button. just reply button
Here is the accept button.