GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

97 Chevy Silverado 1500: 5.7 Liter..my truck..my brake..brake pedal…

Customer Question
I have a 97 Chevy...
I have a 97 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.7 Liter 2 w/d. I took my truck in for a Brake Job at GoodYear and they tore my brake line. I replaced the brake line but I have never been able to completely get the air out of the Lines it's always got a soft brake pedal. I bleed the calipers and it's good for about a couple of weeks. Than it's spongy again. I've taken it to various mechanics and Chevy dealers and I get it back worse than when I bleed the Brakes myself.
I've bled it from the Master Cylinder lines all the way down to each Caliper and Brake Drum and it still only lasts awhile.
I've already checked for torn brake lines, vacuum leaks checked the Booster for leaks everything checks out ok.
Any ideas on what i"ve overlooked i've been experiencing this for yrs. now.

Raul
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/19/2010
GM Mechanic: Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hello and good afternoon. If the pedal degrades, there has to be a rotted brake line elsewhere or a bad seal on the repaired line. Once you get it good, it should hold. If it's deteriorating, then there is definitely air getting into the system. I've seen terrible cases with rotted lines on these truck, so look closely for a second point that may be slightly porous. It may have not failed yet, but it may appear darker in color indicating some fluid is present. If you absolutely have no other points, then recheck those fitting at the repaired line, they have to be sucking a little air from them. Use a little Teflon tape if you can't get it to seal.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

I've already checked and rechecked all Lines, sprayed water with soap on all the brake lines and vacuum lines and booster and I still don't have any leaks that would create bubbles while I'm underneath the truck or engine compartment while someone else is stepping on the brake peddle.

When I replaced the Brake Line with a new one i did use teflon tape to make sure i had a good seal.

It could be so very slight, that you don't see any bubbles. Since it's good for a period of time before it degrades, chances are you won't see anything concrete. Since it was good before you had that issue. See if it is leaking from between the fitting and the line. Did you use a union, or compression fitting, or did you replace the line from end to end?

I replaced the whole line with a new one.
Ok, try this, unscrew the fitting. Slide it back a little. Wrap a little Teflon tape around the flare and slide the fitting back. Snug it up. Let's eliminate that it's coming from there. Then bleed the brakes until you get a good pedal. Take the truck out and force the ABS to engage, to dislodge any bubbles that may be inside. Bleed the brakes again. Do this 4 or 5 times. Then see if the pedal degrades again. You shouldn't have any issues with the booster. Look for any wetness around the back of the master. Unbolt it and slide it forward to see if there is any dampness around the piston. If it's dry, I don't think you have an issue with it.
Relist: I've already tried all the answers this expert suggested..
I've already tried all the answers this expert suggested.