GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

1999 gmc truck: 15 miles..die..it will start back up within 20 minutes…

Customer Question
my 1999 gmc truck with...
my 1999 gmc truck with the 350 will start and run great for 10 to 15 miles than die like no fuel sometimes it will start back up within 20 minutes other times it takes hours to start what may be the problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/19/2010
GM Mechanic: Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hello and good evening. You most likely have a fuel pump issue. Start by checking the fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge. You have a test port on the fuel rail. Hook up the gauge and look for 60-66 psi. Drive the truck with the gauge on and watch it as it starts to die. If you see it start to drop, the fuel pump is to blame. That 60-66 psi spec is with the key on and engine off. Running it will be about 7 psi lower. When you snap the throttle, it should raise towards that 60-66 psi spec. It should never go down from what it is at idle. Under load, it should go up, not down. Any downward movement from your idle spec. will confirm a faulty pump.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

checked fuel pump working fine
What pressure did you show?
at idle 63 truck will go days working fine than just starts dieing again today took it 75 miles ran fine than died had to let it set for 1 hour than started ran for 10 miles died had to let it sit for 20 minutes started ran for 2 miles would not start after 3 hours called a wrecker and 2 hours later it started could it be a ignition control mod or cam, crank sensor
I wouldn't go in those directions yet. 63 psi at idle is good, but you need to see where it goes when the truck starts losing power. You need to know that, that 63 psi is still present. If it is, then you can totally dismiss fuel, but until you know, you can't rule it out. One other place I would focus is if you have a restricted catalytic convertor. A convertor could run normal, then start restricting exhaust flow, when it gets hot. A way to check for that situation, is after it dies, remove the upstream oxygen sensors and see if the truck will start. If it does then you confirmed a restricted cat. With the sensors out, you are giving the exhaust gases a way to escape. Just keep in mind, they will be hot. Keep focusing on these two things. If fuel pressure stays good, and we know we have no exhaust restriction, we can start looking at other items, but until we absolutely know these things are not a factor, lets stay with them, because they are the most probable. I'll stick with you for as long as it takes to rule these things out and pinpoint the issue, but let's see if we can see what that fuel pressure is doing. Tape the gauge to the windshield so you can see what is happening. Just plan out your rescue mission since you'll have to drive it until it dies again.