GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2008 GMC: freeway he was going 70 mph and the steering wheel came..van…

Customer Question
I have a friend that...
I have a friend that was in an accident. On the freeway he was going 70 mph and the steering wheel came loose and wouldn't steer the van. It was a 2008 GMC Savana truck G2500 with a 4.8 L engine. Can you tell me what happened to the steering? It as working fine until that moment. It as a rental.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/17/2010
GM Mechanic: Mark, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings, my name is Mark.

It could have been any number of things with your steering. It is important to keep things lubricated and grease upon every oil change. It would be fruitless here to try and guess as to a failure or even why.

If you're looking for a "known" or even a "common" failure, there are none. You have the steering column that connects to the steering linkage. It is the same set-up that GM and most car manufacturers have been using since the discovery of slicing bread.

Below is a description and list of components that make up the steering linkage on the van. If you concern about liability, my suggestion is careful inspection upon the steering linkage by a certified person. See what component failed and why.

The steering linkage consists of the following components:

A pitman arm
An idler arm
A relay rod
2 adjustable tie rods

When you turn the steering wheel, the steering gear rotates the pitman arm which forces the relay rod to one side. The tie rods connect to the relay rod with the ball studs. The tie rods transfer the steering force to the wheels. Use the tie rods in toe adjustments. The tie rods are adjustable.

The pitman arm support the relay rod. The idler arm pivots on a support attached to the frame rail and the ball stud attaches to the relay rod.

The 2 tie rod are threaded into the tube and secured with jam nuts. Right and left hand threads are used in order to permit the adjustment of toe.

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 828821  Size: SH