GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2001 GMC: 2500 HD..HD 4x4..cooling fan..AC

Customer Question
I've got a 2001 GMC...
I've got a 2001 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 and would like to put an electric cooling fan in front of the condenser to keep air flowing across the condenser when the vehicle isn't moving so my AC continues to work. Any suggestions on if this can be done and if so, what fan to use?

Thanks,
Rick
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/14/2010
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

Is your Rad plugged on the outside?

Not sure what you're asking....everything is all stock but the AC isn't working good and I think an electric fan mounted on the condenser would help.

There should enough air flow when parked to work the AC. I would first check your charge level. If may be a bit low. IF you spend lots of time in traffic, then I would think about converting to to electric fans. I am not sure who sells the kit, but have seen them.

This isn't really helping me much. I know there should be enough air flow for the AC to work when parked but it isn't cooling good when it's hot outside. I've replaced the compressor and condenser which helped but when stopped in traffic, the air doesn't blow cold. The charge checks o.k. I was trying to see if you knew what electric fan kits to recommend as a backup airflow when in traffic. Thanks for your time though but it didn't really tell me much.

I am sorry. You were not forthcoming with this information so how was I to know. I do not know of a helper fan, but as I said, I have seen conversion kits to take out the standard fan and install a pair of electric fans.

http://fanconversion.com/Product_list.php