GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2005 GMC: security system..time when I unlock the doors..cannot start…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 GMC...
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra and have been having issues with the security system. From time to time when I unlock the doors, I cannot start the truck are the system will not let me.
I have tried everything from unlocking the truck with a key etc.
Please advise.
Thanks Leon becker
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/13/2010
GM Mechanic: John, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
John, GMC Technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

When this problem happens ,is the security light flashing ?

When I turn the key on the column, the instrument panel goes blank with the license lock. Prior to this it shows the lock

I have seen several different problems with the ignition switch.by this I mean when the switch is turned on 'some times" some of the circuits do not get switched on.This being an intermitten problem always makes it harder to track down.i would suggest "when this happens" to check the voltage of the circuits comming from the ignition switch that should have battery voltage at that time.

There is also a possibility that the problem could be in the instrument panel cluster.A "part" of the theft deterrent logic is in the cluster.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: FS