GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

hole but the truck died tried to restart it and it is acting…

Customer Question
man i went boging last...
man i went boging last night for the first time hit a hole with standing water to fast made it through the hole but the truck died tried to restart it and it is acting like the battary is died i was wondering if anyone might know what i could do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/13/2010
GM Mechanic: Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

ok, first check the voltage across the battery terminals. Make sure it's up (above 12.5 volts). Have an assistant try to start the truck while you monitor the voltage across the battery terminals. Shouldn't drop below 10 volts. If it goes below 10 volts and the truck still won't crank, get a new battery. If the voltage doesn't really drop at all while cranking, then try to start it in neutral. If it starts in neutral but not park, replace the trans position switch on the left side of the trans. If still nothing, proceed.

here is a wiring diagram to get us started. We will be referring to this diagram frequently.

graphic

go to the starter with a test light. This is gonna be a little difficult. Check for voltage at both the large post and small posts while an assistant holds the key in the start position. If both posts light the light, replace the starter. If only the large post has power and the small one does not while trying to start the engine, it gets interesting.... Make sure to check in the underhood fuse block the following fuses (found the the diagram above):
IGN E
IGN A
CRANK

Also make sure the battery cables are attached tightly to the battery. These can become loose and cause problems. Also you can try to swap the "STRTR" relay with another identical relay. This relay is located in the same underhood fuse block as the fuses mentioned above.

I'm gonna send this through as an answer. If this does not solve your problem, please respond to this post and we will continue. If you do find your problem, please press accept! Thanks a lot!
obviously you will want to make sure the engine isn't seized up before you do all the above... Use a large 1/2 inch breaker bar and a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and make sure the engine turns over.