GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

i think passlock is on.

Customer Question
1999 jimmy will not start...
1999 jimmy will not start all the time.   sometime 6to 30 try to start. i think passlock is on. how do i turn off the passlock will start if the security light stay on all the time but it comes off and on at will
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/10/2010
GM Mechanic: Dave Nova, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Is the security light on when the engine does not start?
no but it will start if the light is on
There is no way to turn off the passlock system. The problem is usually in the passlock sensor. The sensor is part of the upper steering column housing.
the lgnition cylinder was replace last year is passlock part of the cylinder
The passlock sensor is not in the igntion lock cylinder. The sensor is built into the upper column housing. The ignition lock cylinder is installed in the upper column housing.
So both the sensor and the ignition lock cylinger are both in the upper column housing, but you haven't given me any suggestion as to why the car won't start if the security light is off. Or any suggestion as to how to fix it.
So both the sensor and the ignition lock cylinger are both in the upper column housing, but you haven't given me any suggestion as to why the car won't start if the security light is off.   Or any suggestion as to how to fix it.
So both the sensor and the ignition lock cylinger are both in the upper column housing, but you haven
The sensor is built into the column housing, the cylinder is replaceable separately.