GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2007 Chevy Suburban: LTZ..rear hatch..back down..the hatch manually it…

Customer Question
My 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ...
My 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ rear hatch starts to open when I press the key button but stops abruptly and closes back down. If I try to open the hatch manually it fights me a little bit trying to close but then lets me finish the opening. Something I can fix myself, or am I dealer bound?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/10/2010
GM Mechanic: John, GMC Technician replied 8 years ago
John, GMC Technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

The rear hatch is operated by computer with the help of input switches.you most likely have a fault in one of the switches that is causing this malfunction.I suggest you have a qualified technician inspect & repair this for you.

The liftgate control module continuously monitors power liftgate operation and calculates its location and direction of travel using 2 hall effect sensors that are part of the gear motor assembly. The hall effect sensors are 3 wire sensors and are supplied with a 5 volt power circuit, ground and signal circuits from the liftgate control module. The hall effect sensor signal circuits are referenced from battery voltage within the liftgate control module and pulsed low by the hall effect sensors.

Thanks John but you have confirmed that I need to take the truck to the dealer to get it fixed. I'd be happy to pay if I recieved info that allowed me to fix it myself. Bill

Do you want info on replacing module & switches ?

Do you have a scan tool to clear the computer codes ?

Are you mechanically inclined w/tools ?

Edited by Lori-Moderator on 6/10/2010 at 12:39 PM EST
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer. John is correct in workings of the module and switches, and for the most part, there is little we can do without the scan tool, however there is one thing I can suggest.

Check the struts for the lift gate. I have seen many where one strut gets weak and the motor cannot handle it and it reverses. Support the gate and take the strut off, then see if you can collapse the strut. If so then replace the strut. If not and there is nothing obvious, then you will need the scan tool as John suggested to look at it.