GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD: 4x4..automatic transmission..The tires churp…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 GMC...
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4, duramax engine and automatic transmission. My problem is: when I turn a corner at slow speeds, something is making the rear wheels lock and then release quickly. The tires churp, as the truck is moving but the rear wheels dont seem to be rotating. This problem only occurs when turning, when travelling any length of distance straight, without a significant right angle turn the truck runs perfect. Or if u take the corner at a speed greater than say 10 miles an hour, the grinding and tire locking senario doesnt occur. I am not familiar enough with the drivetrain operation to determine what is creating this problem. Help! Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
6/9/2010
GM Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello JACUSTOMER, this is a problem with the rear end in the vehicle. The differential is limited slip (or locking) and when it is acting up then this will happen. You need to start by having the rear differential fluid changed. If that does not help then you may need to have the rear differential rebuilt.