GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

my door wont open on my 98 chevy silverado

Customer Question
my door won't open on...
my door won't open on my 98 chevy silverado
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: GM
3/14/2010
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 7 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Welcome. Did you replace any parts such as the inner door handle? They are common for breaking.
no... there is something that is not catching like it should to lift the thing that catches and release the latch that allows you to open and close the door.

Ok, this is likely the inner handle. The part that that you pull often cracks behind the main part and starts to bend then break causing the door not to open. Often if the bezel is removed, it allows it to work.

The handle is about 45.00 and is not hard to replace.

Drill out the rivet once you get the door panel off, slide the handle forward, then remove the 2 rods. Install the 2 rods, then install the handle.

its not the inside handle. it is actually where something should be catching on the inside. graphic. Can you see the picture? This does not lift up when the rods are moved.

No, the picture does not show.

Do you have an email address I can send the picture to? I can't get it to upload.

[email protected] is only good for this question.
picture is on its way. the silver thing inside will not move up to release the latch.
OK, if the linkage is moving to the latch assembly, then this latch had failed. With the door handle pulled, use something to rotate that latch. If it is, then you need to replace the latch. ALso check the door pins and bushings. They are common for failing and causing accelerated wear on this latch. Lift on the end of the door to see if there is any movement.
that is the problem. when the door handle is pulled the thing wont come up to release the latch. (if you haven't noticed i am a female and to be honest with you, my husband is out of town and would kill me if he new i did this)

Then your latch has probably worn out and there is nothing we can do at this time without replacing it.

I won't tell him if you don't. But you can help him when he does look at this and atleast know what is happening.

thanks for your patience. the main concern is that if I shut the door (he has someone he can take it to to fix it) they wont be able to get it open again. Any suggestions?
Good point. I would close the window and prop it closed so he can look at it.
ok. thanks for your help.
No problem.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic