GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

2003 yukon xl denali: 105,000 miles..stopped running..driving down

Customer Question
2003 yukon xl denali 105,000...
2003 yukon xl denali 105,000 miles stopped running last night while driving down road. tried to start it would fire but not keep running. this morning it turns over good but will not fire (left reading light on over night but still turns over very good). Fuel pump replaced 2 years ago with GM pump.
Issues started 9 months ago after unlocking the drivers door with the key and not remote.
2 weeks ago while driving on the freeway the car hessitated like you turned the key off and right back on the first time it did it i thought the lights (dash or door) flickered at same time, a couple minutes later it did the same thing right after going over a bump and the lights definately went out inside at same time.
last week my wife called me and said car would not start, I asked if lights were on see said lights were not coming on, than she checked battery leads all seemed good she got back in closed door lights came on car started
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
1/9/2010
GM Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
HelloCustomer do you hear a buzzing from the fuel pump when the key is turned on? Is the security light on when cranking the engine?
the securtiy light stayed on last night even when the engine fired (it would run a couple seconds and stop) I will go check for fuel pump coming on.
If the security light is staying on now then you may have a problem with the ignition switch or the body control module. Let me know about the fuel pump and if the security light is on while cranking and we can go from there.
no fuel pump buzz and security light turns off when cranking
Okay. If you do not get a buzzing from the fuel pump then it may have failed on you again. Start by checking to see if there is a clicking noise from the fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse box. When inspecting this relay have someone else try starting the engine. If when they first try to start it you hear or feel a click from this relay then the pump is the most likely problem.
so the door issue is something else, some times when you get in a drive radio does not turn on but when you stop and turn key off radio comes on and than turns off when door is opened.
This is why I would check to see if the relay is powering up. If the relay is not turning on then the pump will not come on which leads me to believe that is is probably the ignition switch.
relay clicks
Okay. If the relay is clicking and the fuel pump is not coming on then it sounds like the fuel pump. If you can try adding fuel directly into the engine and then try starting it. If it starts then it is a fuel pump problem.
is removing tank and replacing fuel pump difficult or just time consuming, i have not crawled under yet, it is about 15 miles away at business warehouse.
It is time consuming and it is really only really difficult if there is a lot of fuel in the tank.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician