GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

1998 GMC Sierra 1500: replace the blower motor..relay click..glove box

I have to replace the...
I have to replace the blower motor on a 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 -- not working at any speed, but when I click the fan on I hear a relay click. It was down to high only, so I think it's the blower. I have to remove the glove box. What's the best way to do that?
12/18/2009
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

The problem is more likely the blower motor resistor. Especially if it lost speeds at different times. You can access the blower motor resistor from under the dash. You will also likely find that the connector has melted into the resistor. GM makes a replacement pigtail that you can splice in. I've done a lot of these! I always put dielectric grease in the connector before reinstalling. If there are ANY signs of the connector melting or the terminals are not shiny then replace the resistor and the connector or you will continue to have problems.

Is the resistor where the power line goes into the blower, or elsewhere?
There is a multipin connector going into the resistor and then a 2 wire connector coming from the resistor going into the blower motor. It is mounted on the bottom of the heater box next to the blower motor.
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician