GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

p0202/p2149 is it a wiring issue ,fuel delivery,injector

Customer Question
p0202/p2149 is it a...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
10/29/2009
GM Mechanic: GMC Expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
GMC Expert
GMC Expert, ASE Certified Technician

YES THIS IS MOST COMMONLY A WIRING PROBLEM IN THE INJECTOR HARNESS,

Tests/Procedures:1. Perform an injector balance test and check for cylinders 2 and/or 7 not contributing. Replace the injector wiring harness connector and install a support bracket from the service kit.

2. Refer to TSB #05-06-04-047B (03/14/2006).

3. If the problem is not isolated to cylinders 2 and/or 7, replace the wiring harness. Refer to TSB #06-06-04-026 - (04/27/2006)

check TSB where?

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-047C

Date: April 23, 2008

Subject:
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 or P1294 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector with Harness Support Bracket Service Kit)

Models:
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado
2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2004-2005 GMC Sierra
2004-2005 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VIN 2 - RPO LLY)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add DTC P1294 to Subject Line and Condition Statement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-047B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated along with a severe reduction in engine power (limp home mode). Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 or P1294.

Cause

The injector connector circuits on cylinders 2 and 7 are not fully supported near the connector and are more susceptible to terminal breakage from engine vibration.

Correction

If published diagnostics lead to an injector connector install the revised 90 degree connector and the harness support bracket from the service kit P/N 98017958 using the following repair procedures.

Repair Procedure for Left Bank Cylinder Number 2

1.Disconnect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).

2.Remove the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.

3.Remove the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).

4.Disconnect cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.

5.Remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug connector nut and remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector from the glow plug.

6.Remove the fuel injector harness bracket bolt.

7.Cut the tape to remove the fuel injector harness bracket and discard the bracket.

8.Cut cylinder number 2 fuel injector connector off the engine harness approximately 38.1 mm (1.5 in) away from the base of the connector.

Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

9.Strip approximately 1/4 inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and using the supplied Duraseal(R) connectors crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.

10.Use an Ultra Torch or equivalent to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal(R) connectors.

11.Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

12.Position the new injector harness bracket to align with the bracket bolt hole and secure to the harness with electrical tape.

13.Install the new injector harness bracket and original bolt.

Tighten

Tighten the fuel injector harness bracket bolt to 10 N.m (89 lb in).

14.Install the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the glow plug harness connector nut to 2 N.m (18 lb in).

15.Connect the cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.

16.Install the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).

17.Install the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.

Repair Procedure for Right Bank Cylinder Number 7

1.Remove the fuel filter assembly bolts.

2.Position the fuel filter assembly out of the way.

3.Disconnect cylinder number 7 fuel injector harness connector and cut the number 7 fuel injector harness connector wires directly at the base of the connector.

4.Strip approximately 1/4 inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and using the supplied Duraseal(R) connectors crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.

5.Use an Ultra Torch or equivalent to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal(R) connectors.

6.Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

7.Install the new injector harness bracket to the upper valve cover.

8.Install the injector harness bracket bolts supplied with the kit.

Tighten

Tighten the injector harness bracket bolts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).

9.Connect the cylinder number 7 injector harness connector.

10.Install the injector harness to the bracket as shown.

11.Install the fuel filter assembly.

12.Install the fuel filter assembly bolts.

Tighten

Tighten the fuel filter assembly bolts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).

13.Connect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).

After doing wiring kit if it doesn't do the trick whats next
REPLY BACK TO ME AND WE WILL GET TO SOME MORE TESTS, BUT THAT IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM
GMC Expert
GMC Expert, ASE Certified Technician
GMC Expert
GMC Expert
GMC Expert, ASE Certified Technician