GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2002 GMC Sonoma: Crew Cab..4WD..crank..I checked the fuel pressure…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 GMC...
I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab 4.3L 4WD
I have been having problem starting sometimes after the second crank it will start. I checked the fuel pressure with the key on it will come up to 60 psi then drop off. What I have been doing before starting up is turn the key to the on then off then on and start. I don't know if it's the fuel pump or something else ? I like the truck but this is driving me nut's.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: GM
10/16/2009
GM Mechanic: Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech replied 12 years ago
Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech

HelloCustomer/p>

I can assist you with that question.

You are on the right track-fuel pressure should build quickly and NOT drop off very much at all. The next step, now that you have established that the pressure is dropping, is to see where the drop is occurring. Blocking off the fuel return and performing the pressure test would show whether the fuel pump has a problem, or if its a regulator/injector leak. With the return line blocked, pressure the system and see if it drops off. If not, then the regulator is the problem. If it still drops, then a block off valve needs to be added to the supply line further isolate the problem. With the return still blocked off, and pressurizing system and closing the valve, you can tell if the leak is the injector, regulator, or fuel pump assembly. If the pressure holds, then suspect either a fuel pump check valve or a leak somewhere in the tank unit.

Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech

Mr. EdC

Thanks ! I will try this and see I was just hoping the fuel pump was not the problem but if so I guess I will have to bite the bullet so to speak.

Some of the trucks have rubber lines where they drop from the rear of the intake to the fuel filter. Carefully blocking them off there is acceptable.

Thank you for the Accept-greatly appreciated. Do a couple of those tests and let me know the results.

Good luck, sir.