JHoop
JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

2002 Yukon Denali: driver seat..relay..heater to check for voltage

Customer Question

2002 Yukon Denali driver seat heater doesn't work. Listing in manual does not show correct location for fuse or relay - Which wire under seat goes to heater to check for voltage?
Category: GM
Expert:  KMP1171 replied 7 years ago.
You want to check the orng wire for the heated seat check also the thermister. In the ornge wire circuit under seat.

If this helped please accept if need more just ask

Kevin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Kevin, I am still at work so will have to check later this evening. Do you have any photos or wiring diagrams that I could see to find the thermistor?
Expert:  KMP1171 replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Kevin, Thanks but, I only received a blank document. Can you send a pdf or doc file?
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
Hello Billrad, my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com. I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi JHoop - sorry, I don't know where I got Kevin from -Thanks Bill
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
If you have any more questions or need any diagrams, please dont hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Expert:  KMP1171 replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry for the blank page I don't know why that happened. But I can see that you are recieving good expert help. Thanks for using J/A

Kevin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
JHoop, Thanks for the schematic. I was able to verify that the 30A fuse seo2 is good, however, I am unable to determine which orange wire under the seat is the feed for the heater. There are several orange wires. Also, I cannot locate the relay block in the schematic. Any wiring diagrams or installation drawings for those would be very much appreciated. Thanks again, Bill
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
Have you also checked the IGN 3 fuse in the diagram?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi JHoop, no I haven't checked that fuse since when I press the switch to turn on the heated seat the lights on the door illuminate with the correct sequence. IE: one press - high - second press - low - off on third press. The problem seems to be in the power side of the circuit not the control. However, I will check that fuse to be sure. Thanks, Bill
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
Here is just about everything on these seats. I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE and HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks JHoop - will let you know what I find out and get back to you -
Bill
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi JHoop, I have finally been able to get back to the problem and your schematics have been helpful. I am to the point that the tested relay logic semiconductor under the seat is getting it's control signal on the white wire and is passing the 12V on to the heating elements on the yellow wire, but I can't find the ground connection to the heating elements. It seems very hard to believe that both the back heating element and the seat heating element both failed during the summer when they are not being used. It seems more likely that something in common with both heating elements has failed. Thanks for any input on this.
Bill
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
You are getting power to the element, correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, all I can tell is that the solid state relay is switching out the signal to the element wire. The wire bundle is taped and it appears that the wire goes directly to the seat heater and has a plug that connects to the back heater. One question I have is what resistance value should I expect to get for the seat back heating element? The other thing that does not match the schematic is that the black wire to the relay logic does not have a low resistance to ground and it seems that according to most color codes for vehicles black is the ground. Bill