GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

Diagram for fuel line on 1997 jimmy gmc from tank to engine

Customer Question
diagram for fuel line on 1997 jimmy gmc from tank to engine
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
9/19/2009
GM Mechanic: Ken, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Hi and thanks for your question! Here is the inormation that you ased for. Ken
Fuel System (Fuel Supply System)

Central SFI Fuel System with Fuel Pressure Gauge

Object Number: 13109  Size: SF

(1)Fuel Inlet
(2)Bleed Hose
(3)J 34730-1A Fuel Pressure Gauge Assembly
(4)Fuel Pressure Connection
(5)In-Line Fuel Filter
(6)Fuel Line Pressure Side
(7)Fuel Pump Feed Hose
(8)In-Tank Fuel Pump
(9)Fuel Pump Strainer
(10)Return Line
(11)Flexible Hose
(12)Fuel Return Line

The fuel supply system consists of the following components:

The fuel pump
The fuel tank
The accelerator control components
The fuel lines
The fuel filter

Fuel Pump Operation

The fuel supply system has an electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank on the gauge sending unit. The electric pump pumps fuel to the fuel injection unit through an in-line fuel filter and fuel supply line. The pump provides fuel at a pressure above the regulated pressure needed by the fuel injectors.

A pressure regulator in the fuel injector unit keeps fuel available to the injector at a constant pressure. Fuel in excess of injector needs is returned to the fuel tank by a separate line.

Fuel pressure for Central SFI 4.3L system is 380-420 kPa (55-61 psi).

In order to properly control the fuel supply, the fuel pump is operated by the control module through the fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch.

In-Line Fuel Filter

Caution: In order to reduce the risk of fire and pesonal injury, allow the fuel pressure to bleed off before servicing the fuel system components.

Refer to the Fuel System Pressure Relief Procedure in the section that applies to the fuel system that is being serviced.

The in-line filter is located in the fuel feed line. This filter prevents dirt from entering the injection unit.

In-Tank Filter

A woven plastic filter is located on the lower end of the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. The filter prevents any dirt from entering the fuel line. Unless the filter becomes completely submerged, the filter also stops water.

This filter is self-cleaning. The filter normally requires no maintenance. At this point, the fuel stoppage indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment or water; therefore, clean the tank thoroughly.

Fuel And Vapor Pipes

The fuel feed and the return pipes and the hoses extend from the fuel pump and the sender to the injection unit. The fuel feed and the return pipes and the hoses are routed along the frame side member.

The vapor pipe and the hoses extend from the fuel pump and the sender unit to the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control vapor canister.

Fuel Tank

The fuel tank, at the rear of the underbody, is held in place by 2 metal straps. Anti-squeak pieces are used on top of the tank to reduce rattles.

Filler Neck

In order to help prevent refueling with leaded gasoline, the fuel filler neck on a gasoline engine vehicles has a built-in restrictor and deflector. The opening in the restrictor will only admit the smaller unleaded gas nozzle spout, which must be fully inserted to bypass the deflector.

Attempted refueling with a leaded gas nozzle or failure to fully insert the unleaded gas nozzle results in gasoline splashing back out of the filler neck.

Fuel Filler Cap

The fuel tank filler neck is equipped with a tethered fuel tank filler cap. Turn the cap counterclockwise in order to remove. A built-in torque-limiting device prevents overtightening. In order to install the cap, turn the cap clockwise until a clicking noise is heard. The clicking is a signal to the operator that the correct torque has been reached and the cap is fully seated.

Accelerator Control

The accelerator control system is a control cable type attached at one end to an accelerator pedal assembly. On the other end is the throttle valve.

Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
It almost sounds like you have a plugged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump. Ken
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
sometime when car get hot it want start because it is not getting gas to the intakes
Try to spray some brake clean in the throttle body to see if it starts up. When fuel pumps are going out they have a hard time turning when they are hot. Put a fuel gage on the fuel line by the distbuter. there is a pressure port there to hook up to. If the pressure is less than 52psi, listen for th fuel pump turning in the tank. Ken
Ken
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician