GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

2001 Chevy: reverse..trouble starting..tight..park to start

Customer Question
2001 Chevy Silverado P/U....won't go...
2001 Chevy Silverado P/U....won't go into/operate in reverse...will go into/operate in drive. Is it the transmission? Recently had some trouble starting and seemed the shifter was problematic...had to really hold shifter up tight in park to start and after starting would be difficult to get in gear...wondering if that is related...something in the shifter and not the transmission....hope, hope.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
9/3/2009
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Welcome. Does it seem to rev higher for the shifter to 2nd and 3rd gears?
We can't drive it...it is stuck in the driveway...can we start it and try this without driving it? I think we can but my husband wants to push it out of the driveway and try to drive it around the block.
No, What I am suspecting is the common issue with these transmission. There is a shell inside that is splined to a gear, and they are common for breaking which means you loose reverse 2nd and 4th. You will get 1st gear and it will take high engine RPM to shift.
Okay, this is an automatic trans....R,D and 3,2,1 low/tow gears. When I started it just now, I could not sense any high rev when going to the low gears or staying in drive, but I didn't drive it because we can't get it out of the driveway right now. I guess we have to get it out of the drive and try the rev test while actually driving it?
You will have only had 1st gear so you need to drive it to know for sure.
Okay, once we do that, and if the test drive proves true...is that a whole new trans or can just the shell be replaced?
Often a reman transmission is about the same price, but you can fix it. HERE is a document that has the new parts.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic