GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali. I want to change the oil myself.

I have a 2005 GMC...
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali. I want to change the oil myself. Getting underneath the SUV, I see the oil filter and right next to it I see what I assume to be the oil drain plug. It appears to be an odd size. Does anyone know what size it is? It seems a little big to be 5/8. Also, I can't seem to budge it at all. This has only been serviced by the dealer in the past. I assume I loosen to the left / counter clock wise.
8/29/2009
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Hi and thanks for your question! Its a 15 mm wrench and they can be very tight. The aluminum oil pan tends to lock on to the drain plug. Yes to the left and some times I need a extension on the wrench to got it loose. Ken
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician

Removal Procedure

Important: In order to completely drain the oil from the oil pan internal baffling, the bottom of the oil pan must be level during the oil drain procedure.

Object Number: 260111  Size: SH

1. Open the hood.
  2. Remove the oil fill cap.
  3. Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
  4. Place a oil drain pan under the oil pan drain plug.
  5. Remove the oil pan drain plug.
  6. Drain the engine oil.
  7. Wipe the excess oil from the drain plug hole and plug.
    Object Number: 260117  Size: SH

8. Remove the oil filter from the engine block.

Important: Check the old oil filter to ensure that the filter seal is not left on the engine block.

9. Wipe the excess oil from the oil filter mounting.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 260117  Size: SH

1. Lubricate the oil filter seal with clean engine oil.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the oil filter to the engine block.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil filter to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Object Number: 260111  Size: SH

3. Install the oil drain plug to the engine block.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Fill the crankcase with the proper quantity and grade of engine oil. .
  6. Remove the oil level indicator.
  7. Wipe the indicator with a clean cloth.
  8. Install the oil level indicator.
  9. Remove the oil level indicator in order to check the level.
  10. Add oil if necessary.
  11. Close the hood.
When you are under truck, push the wrench towards the passenger side of the truck. ken
I have finished doing all of that. Now, how do I reset the engine oil life on the dashboard control?
I will look that up for you, Ken
Thank You!
GM Oil Life System Resetting

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will come ON. Change the engine oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, change the engine oil at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since last oil change.

How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine OFF.
  2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. If the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10 seconds, the system is resetting.
  3. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the ENGINE OIL LIFE SYSTEM has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Ken
Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician