Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 35 years, Foreign/Domestic repairs
13677702

How do I separate a power steering pump from the reservoir,

How do I separate a power steering pump from the reservoir, so I can change just the pump ? Vehicle is a 2000 GMC Yukon (5.3 L).
Hey! Welcome to Just Answer. My name is JacobTD; I will help you figure this out.
I am an Expert in this Category, and picked your question because I have firsthand
knowledge on this particular vehicle. So let’s get started.
This is a low pressure feed line. SO you can do what ever it take to get off. You can even cut line as for it is not high pressure. It should be able to after removing hose clamp if having one. twist and pop off.
JacobTD, GMC Enthusiast
Experience: Ase Certified
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I already have the pump/reservoir off the vehicle but can't get them to separate, so I can replace the pump only.
You can't seperate them form the data i am reading.

Below are directions for seperating the resevoir. I will add that all aftermarket pumps i have purchased of this style come with resevoir with pump as one unit

Disassembly Procedure

1. Drain the power steering fluid from the power steering pump.
  2. Remove the pump mounting studs (2).
  3. Remove the connector and fitting assembly (5). To remove the variable assist steering actuator (3) and retaining ring (4); refer to Power Steering Pump Flow Control Valve Actuator Replacement - On Vehicle.
  4. Remove the O-ring seal (6) from the connector and fitting assembly (4).
  5. If replacement is required, remove the control valve assembly and the flow control spring from the pump housing assembly; refer to Power Steering Pump Flow Control Valve Replacement - Off Vehicle (Regular).

1. Remove the reservoir assembly (1) from the pump housing assembly (2).

1. Remove the O-ring seals (1) (4).
  2. Remove the magnet (3).
  3. Clean the magnet (3).
  4. Inspect the Welch plug in the power steering pump housing (2). Do not remove. If the Welch plug is deformed or dislodged, replace the power steering pump housing (2).

Assembly Procedure

Important: Use new O-ring seals when assembling the power steering pump assembly.

1. Lubricate the O-ring seals (1) (4) with power steering fluid.
  2. To install the control valve assembly and flow control spring to the pump housing assembly (2); refer to Power Steering Pump Flow Control Valve Replacement - Off Vehicle (Regular).
  3. Install the O-ring seals (1) (4) to the pump housing assembly (2).
  4. Install the magnet (3) to the pump housing assembly (2).

1. Connect the reservoir assembly (1) to the pump housing assembly (2).
  2. Install the O-ring seal.

1. Install the connector and fitting assembly (5). To install the variable assist steering actuator (3) and retaining ring (4); refer to Power Steering Pump Flow Control Valve Actuator Replacement - On Vehicle. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the pump mounting studs (2) to the pump housing (1).
    • Tighten the pump mounting studs (2) to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.) .
    • Tighten the connector and fitting assembly (5) to 75 Nm (55 ft. lbs.) .

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 35 years, Foreign/Domestic repairs
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think this will help,but when I clicked accept it said I would be charged again ? I should only be charged once.
HI, I jumped in to help get the question answered and to help the other expert. I was not expecting pay on this one. I will notify JA right now and put in refund request and let them handle this post. It may take a little while till they respond but I promise it will be handled. just be sure sure not to start another post or things could get a little more complicated. thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think I have all the info I need thanks to Tracer.