FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

1995 gmc: installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor..code reader

Hi
My 1995 gmc K1500 idles rough, smell like it burns rich, poor fuel milage and power. I have installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor with no change. The code reader shows codes 66, 67, 81, 82, 83 but I'm not sure how they relate to the poor engine performance or what my next step should be.   Any direction would be appreciated.

Dave
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer what size engine do you have in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The engine is a 350 4 bolt main with throttle body, truck is k1500 4X4

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 years ago.
Okay, and does the exhaust smell like fuel?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I notice even after the engine is hot and idling that the exhaust smells rich in unburned fuel, I'ts like in the old days when a carbuerator needed adusting badly and the engine was getting too much fuel. A thought, could the computer be dead, this happened to a friend's truck and it ran poorly in some kind of emergency mode (just quessing).

Dave

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 years ago.
Okay. THe codes you are getting are all transmission relatdd codes. They will not cause a rich burning condition. It sounds like you either have a bad MAP sensor or a bad coolant temp sensor. Either of these will cause this. You may also want to check the compression in the engine to make sure that there are no internal issues.