GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

How to unlock a 2001 GM radio?

Customer Question
How do I unlock a...
How do I unlock a 2001 Gm radio. It does not respond to 2+3 or 1+4?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
7/19/2009
GM Mechanic: goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome. what does the radio display say? LOC? or INOP?
It says the time (wrong) and LOCKED. It only says these things with the engine running, and not when just the key is on and engine is not running.
Ok, when you push and hold buttons 2 and 3 what does the display show?
Exactly the same, there is no change. .I have held it for up to two minuets The time display however is advancing correctly.

OK, lets start from the begining. lets make sure you are doing correctly. the procedure for unlocking the radio as follows, you need to get a 6 digit code retrieved from radio then post me back this code, I will post you back a factory backup lock code that will enable you to punch this code in to unlock.

following these instructions, let me know what happens.

Press and hold push buttons 2 and 3 until a three digit code appears on the display.

Write the three digit code on a piece of paper.

Press the AM/FM push button, a three digit code will appear on the display again.

I have tried this several times. The display never changes no mater how long you hold 2+3 or 1+4. I t remains locked.
Ok, it may be in what is called a secured state. this means that there was too many incorrect attempts made to unlock radio. I need you to try this, with the key in the on position {engine not running} leave the key in the on postion for 1 hour and 1 minute. not a second sooner. they key off and re try. if you get the 6 digit code, post it back to me and i will post you the unlock code. Please note, a battery charger would be a plus, this will keep the battery from going dead while you are waiting the one hour
OK will try this.
Ok, let me know! i we be off line for a little bit, but i will be back on!!
I stopped for lunch, forgot about truck being on. One hour and 38 minuetes. No change whatsoever. I tried every combination of bottons, no response. What now? My extensive full set of shop manuels are useless because I do not have the GM scan tool.
Additionally, when I returned to the truck after the 1 hr 38 m on time, there was no display at all with just the key on, but I tried the 2+3 anyway. No good. When I started the truck the display came back with time and LOCKED. It was then that I attemted to get the codes. Still no joy.
Ok, when you are pushing the 2 and 3 button at the same time, do you have the key in the run position?
Per my previous, when I tried the one hour on time, I returned to the truck and naturally the key was in the on position as you sugested... there was no display showing. With the key in the on position I tried 2+3 for about two minuets, then 1+4 for about two minuets. I still had no display. So then I started the truck and the display came on as before with the Time and LOCKED. I then proceeded to try the buttons again. There was no difference, it did not give me any three digit codes. This is as clear as I can make it.
Ok, is this the orginal radio out of truck? or this a newer radio than what was in it
This new radio was one year newer than the truck. Today it cost me $95 at the dealer to find out that the radio will never work in this truck. It lacks a communication cable between the computer and radio. When I returned home, I ripped it out and reinstalled the old one. I will now be sure to buy one from a guaranteed 2001 GMC Savana. An expensive lesson. Thanks for trying.

sorry we couldnt help, I wish I had ask from the start if this one the orginal radio. could have maybe save you some headaches.

goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124