GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

2000 gmc yukon denali: occasionaly my gear shifter gets..park..release

Customer Question
hi there, i have a...
hi there, i have a 2000 gmc yukon denali and occasionaly my gear shifter gets stuck in park i have to play with the shifter get it to release from park.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ads by Google
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: GM
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/19/2009
GM Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech
Do you have access to a voltmeter? Is this a column shift transmission or a floor shift?
no access to a volmeter. It is a column shift transmission.
Ok the problem you are having is the brake interlock system. This is a safety feature that deters you from placing the vehicle in drive without having your foot on the brake pedal. On this model there are two items known to cause this problem. The first and most common problem would be the shift interlock solenoid itself. This is located in the ignition column. The second problem would be the brake lamp switch. I can help you verify this problem but you will need a voltmeter. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!
i can't get one tonight can i call you tomorrow? where is the brake lamp switch located. what can i do to get it out of park right now? What is the cost for repair? My cell # XXXXX

You can log back in here and come back to this post. This will get you back to me. The brake lamp switch is located at the top of the brake pedal assembly. As far as making this work for now, you may want to try moving the actuator located on the right hand side of the column to release the shift lever. To do so, you may need to loosen the steering column trim panels to access this actuator. Here is an idea of location. I do not have a price for this actuator. Here is what you will be looking for. The section of tube you are seeing is actually the lower portion of the steering column where it bolts to the dash. The actuator is on the side of the column.

graphic

Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech

Thank you very much; I will let you know what happens.

Please do! I will assist you as best as possible! Good luck!
ONE LAST THING, IS THE SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID AND THE ACTUATOR THE SAME THING? AND THE PHOTO YOU SENT SHOWS THE GEAR SHIFT ON THE LEFT SIDE MINE IS ON THE RIGHT. IS NUMBER 57 ON THE PHOTO THE GEAR SHIFT?
The illustration I sent only shows the actuator and the steering column tube itself. As you sit in the drivers seat this would be on the right hand side of the column. The actuator and the solenoid would be the same part, just different terminology. #57 is the actuator or solenoid. The gear shift lever would be a bit higher in the illustration.
THANKS!!!!!
No problem, let me know if you have further questions!! Good luck!
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech